We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment on 5th floor, no lift

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bloomington, Indiana
Level Contributor
114 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Apartment on 5th floor, no lift

I'm seriously eyeing this apartment for a March trip - great location, looks nice, 2BR fits for us. However, it's on the 5th floor with no lift. We're two 41 year old non-marathon runners and a 7 year old. How concerned should I be about the stairs?

vacationinparis.com/apts/sub/245_photos.htm

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartment on 5th floor, no lift

I stayed in a VIP apt on the 5th floor with no lift last year. I'm a lot older than you, and out of shape, not to mention some added poundage I'm not happy about.

The only difficulty was bringing the luggage up and down (yes, down... it's almost worse than up). If you can keep a sense of humor about the arrival and departure pain in the neck, you'll be fine. It didn't bother us anyway.

Edited: 03 January 2012, 15:33
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,269 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartment on 5th floor, no lift

Remember that in Europe, the ground floor is considered level 0 -- so your fifth floor walkup is on the 6th floor by the US definition.

European stairways are steep and narrow, and 6 flights of them when you're tired at the end of the day is probably more than any of you will be willing to tackle, and possibly more than your kiddo is capable of climbing when tired, leaving one of you to carry the youngun up 6 flights of stairs.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,780 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartment on 5th floor, no lift

when we were only 41 we stayed on the 5th floor more than once -- and I ran down and slogged up the 5 flights to get breakfast bread each morning and lived to tell the tale -- I thought of it as exercise -- not that we weren't getting plenty walking about all day

now that I am ancient, I don't do that anymore -- except when the elevator was out for a week last year and a few days this year at a 4th floor apartment we like to rent

it is a bit of a trial lugging baggage up 5 flights (as someone else noted 5th floor European is 6th floor American) and there may be whining involved in getting a 7 year old to make the trip

it is surprising what you can get used to doing if you have no choice

Florida
Level Contributor
17,100 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartment on 5th floor, no lift

Aren't there enough apartments around that you don't have to subject yourself to that..? We walk a lot, took a bike tour, and so reasonably fit but stairs just do me in ... I even work the office building stairwell for weeks before we go on a trip and it doesn't seem to help. My husband doesn't mind them as much . . .

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartment on 5th floor, no lift

We've stayed in 6th floor walk-ups a few times. I don't really like it. I would not consider it with a child. You walk so much all day anyway, the stairs can get to be too much. Well at least for us.

I also kept worrying - what if someone injured an ankle or something like that.

As travelnutty said, there are so many rental apartments out there (with elevators), I think I'd keep looking.

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartment on 5th floor, no lift

I don't really like stairs either after a long day of being on my feet. I was very grateful last year that my apartment building had an elevator (albeit an extremely small one).

Essex
Level Contributor
27,151 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apartment on 5th floor, no lift

Stairs don't worry me so much - they are a fact of life in Cities. But the wallpaper in that apartment would immediatly put me off, sorry!!

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,621 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Apartment on 5th floor, no lift

As you see, opinions are mixed as it's a personal choice that has to do with personal abilities. I personally think nothing of climbing 6 flights of stairs carrying manageable bags (I grew on a top floor without a lift so it's a natural thing for me) or walking 6 or 7 hours a day at a fast pace as long as it's flat but I'm incapable of jogging more than a couple of minutes and walking uphill gets me out of breath within seconds whereas I can easily run up a few flights of stairs. So even though we are the same age and may be equally fit, our physical abilities may differ.

5 or 6 flights of stairs would not bother me at all (especially since I know my husband would be carrying the suitcases upstairs - haha!) but if you are unsure about being able to manage so many stairs then it's maybe not a good idea to rent this apartment. If you think you can do it, remember to pack accordingly (a few small pieces rather than a large heavy one).

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,045 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Apartment on 5th floor, no lift

I wouldn't consider it.

As mentioned, stairs tend to be narrow and winding. And, not only do you have to haul your bags up then down, you'd be hauling groceries as well. Staying in an apartment, you'd typically shop for groceries (especially heavier items such as milk, juice, etc.) and return them to the apartment before heading out for the day. Those stairs can be treacherous if you're carrying anything. Not all have handrails or are well lit.

If this is your first trip to Paris, you'll probably be out and about running around to a LOT of places every day. If you use the metro, there will be many stairs involved and also at various destinations. A lot of walking and a lot of stairs every day.

Five flights of stairs may seriously preclude you from running out for fresh pastries in the morning, or returning to the apartment for a break during the day, or returning to freshen up (and unload the excess) before heading out again in the evening.

At the end of a long day of being out and about, it's all we can do do haul ourselves to the entrance of the hotel or building. You will NOT be looking forward to five flights of stairs every day and may find yourselves cutting the day short to get them over with.

Personally, I would save your energy for seeing/doing and making as many trips to markets, wine shops, etc., as you wish.

Bloomington, Indiana
Level Contributor
114 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Apartment on 5th floor, no lift

Thank you all for the replies. While I love the view in the room and the location, I had apprehensions about the stairs from the get go and will probably not rent this apartment because of that. After a long day of walking and travelling around, I don't think up and down those flights will be in the least bit appreciated.