We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One month in Paris

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
One month in Paris

Hello,

I'm really lucky to be coming to Paris for the month of February. I have been to Paris a good few times before and did a lot of the tourist attractions. This time i'm looking forward to just relaxing, having fun and taking it all in without running around trying to see everything like i've did in the past.

So basically i'd love ideas for how you think I should best spend it, recommendations of places you love, old and new. Areas I should try, new things that have newly opened etc anything really.

As museums go i've done the obvious ones - Louvre, Pompidou and Musée d'Orsay which is not to say I wouldn't go back of course but also with some others this time round perhaps? Are there any galleries I should check out? I'm really interested in photography/illustration/design

On all the short trips to Paris i've had i've never been a fan of spending my time in shops however with more time shopping is something i'm really looking forward to. I'm a big fan of independent shops, and anything a little quirky and perhaps photography or design related shops?

I went to a market in the bastille previously but i'd love to try more.

I'd also like to try the cinema, and i've only been to the jardin du luxembourg so a walk through other parks would be great.

Also perhaps a train journey out of paris to another city maybe for a day or overnight?

I realise this is a strange one but my boyfriend is a big fan of the gym ( i'm not ) and he would like to try keep this up over the month we are away. He doesn't do cardio which is good as with walking in Paris there will be enough of that but he does do weights, so I was wondering are there any gyms he could 'pay and go' in?

It's also my first trip after having taking a french evening class at my local alliance francaise for over a year so whilst I appreciate it's hard to practice speaking in paris i'm looking forward to lots of listening to see what I can pick up.

Edited: 06 January 2012, 13:46
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One month in Paris

You might enjoy a walk through the Jeu de Paume near the Place de la Concorde. It's a space devoted to photography. Here's a link:

www.jeudepaume.org/index.php…

Essex
Level Contributor
27,771 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One month in Paris

Well the Puces Flea Markets at St Ouen for a start, run Sat-Mon, plenty of quirky stuff to see and a vibrant 'buzz' to the area on those days. Go to the tourist office in the Market (very helpful are the ladies in there) they will point you to the Music Cafes and also ask them about the walking tour of St Ouen itself - self guided. It is well worth strolling around this route, shows you a more 'workaday' area of Paris, but one that still has interesting history. I can personally recommend it.

The Pierre Cardin Museum also is in St Ouen, considering that you say you like design:

www.pierrecardin.com/art_spectacle_en.php

uk.tourisme93.com/document.php?pagendx=10019

The Rodin Museum gets lots of mentions here, there are many small museums in Paris, and even a few Free ones, so look out for those.

Photography - you should consider the Musee Albert Khan and examine the amazing autochromes (based upon chemicals from Potatoes!!):

http://www.albertkahn.co.uk/ - http://albert-kahn.hauts-de-seine.net/

For day trips outside of Paris, well, there are several threads going on NOW about cute towns to visit.

I would recommend some larger places - Ameins, Arras, Reims, Chartres and Rouen.

There are many possible side trips and all fascinating, but sounds to me as though you really want a Paris 'immersion' so I would not necessarily do to many of them!

San Diego
Level Contributor
247 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: One month in Paris

This is a wonderful quirky little shop in the Marais featuring Lomography cameras and other photo and design goodies:

…lomography.com/stores/…paris-marais

Along Rue Vieille du Temple, on the north end closer to Oberkampf especially, there are a number of contemporary design and salvage stores. Check our OneNineSixOne. Continuing north there's Atelier 154 on rue Okberkampf.

Along the east edge of Marche les Enfants Rouge there's a sweet portraitist's shop that has tons of vintage cameras, photos and postcards, as well as displays of his lovely work.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One month in Paris

fantastic replies so far,

HappyGoin - this looks worth a visit, I hadn't heard of here, Thank you.

mamarche, this is exactly the kind of places i'd be looking for - the Lomography store was on my list - thank you for the others, I will add them to my list

EssexWanderer - found the town thread you mentioned - I may research a few of these and go for the day but you are right i'd like most of the time to be in Paris.

St Ouen flea market sounds great - had heard of it but never made it there previously. Seems worth checking out as does the surrounding area.

This is all great thanks, keep them coming.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,771 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One month in Paris

http://www.st-ouen-tourisme.com/en/

http://www.parispuces.com/en/Default.asp

The above sites should help you, PLUS there are lots of threads on flea markets here, also read some of the Jazz threads, as they will tell you something about some of the music cafe's there too.

PLUS there are other flea markets in Paris - but none so permanent, or so big!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,721 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One month in Paris

although my travel blog needs updating with some of the other walks and things we did -- haven't had time yet -- I did post several of the things we did on our 12th trip to Paris which was for 2 months this fall. although we always visit the Louvre half a dozen times and the d'Orsay once or twice -- we have long since started going far afield of the usual tourist sites -- you might get an idea or two of ways to spend time as an old Paris hand -- if you have good weather (and it was wonderful all of October and November -- February might be more of a challenge -- but you never know) you might try some of the day trips. the walks are nice on any dry day. (and when it rains, Woody Allen was right, Paris is beautiful in the rain -- so head for the bridges and a romantic walk at night

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,830 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One month in Paris

I've recently put together a comprehensive list of some of the popular day trips you can do from Paris. So as not to repeat them all the time let me give you a link to another thread where you can find this list. It's in replies 10 and 11 in this thread:

fodors.com/community/europe/6-days-in-paris-…

Paris, France
Level Contributor
975 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One month in Paris

If you're interested in photography, don't miss the Maison européenne de la photographie: http://www.mep-fr.org/us/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,721 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One month in Paris

Mystique -- your list ought to be a sticky -- how do we make that happen?

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
260 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One month in Paris

I spent a few months this year in Paris and experienced some of the off the beaten track things to do:

1. Musee Jacquemart Andre

2. Musee Marmottan (Monet)

3. Victor Hugo House

4. St Denis Basilca (Necropolis of the kings of France)

5. How about a market tour or cooking class? I love www.cooknwithclass in Montmartre

6. Parc des Buttes Chaumont (they have a great little restaurant on the grounds)

7. Musee Carnavalet

Also, there is a great little book called "Paris, the second time around, the must have guide" by Catherine & Caroline Taret, published by Parigramme. It is fabulous!