We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I become an expert?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Antarctic Peninsula
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How do I become an expert?

Is there some kind of test or years of experience in becoming a Paris expert?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,658 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I become an expert?

I think you have to be invited by TA staff after they notice that you have made a number of informative posts. At least, that is what happened to me.

Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
12,412 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I become an expert?

I was also invited by TA to be a DE, after posting a few hundred times. But you can nominate anyone you think would be suitable, including yourself. If staff at TA feel they need another DE in a particular destination, they might agree depending on past history.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,474 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I become an expert?

You can nominate yourself, but you really NEED to be making helpful posts, instead of just 'comment' - as I have noticed that you do, on many threads.

Antarctic Peninsula
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I become an expert?

Excellent. Good points.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
975 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I become an expert?

Why would you like to be nominated a 'Paris Expert' ?

Antarctic Peninsula
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I become an expert?

Just a curiosity on the process.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do I become an expert?

I was invited when TA first started the "expert" designation, but after I read the list of questions I should expect to answer, I decided I wasn't what they needed. I could share what I knew about my trips, but I think the one that threw me was about "the most romantic place for a proposal." I travel to the Cotes d'Azur quite frequently, and I wouldn't have a clue! I decided I was best at sharing my experiences from a traveler's perspective.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do I become an expert?

That said, I'm rarely on the Louisville, KY forum...I don't have a clue about how to look at my hometown as a traveler! I've tried, but I'm not very good at it. Grocery shopping, dry cleaning, my favorite restaurants...I'm good to go, but I have trouble about how to sightsee in my own town.

Antarctic Peninsula
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do I become an expert?

Interesting. I think many people who live and grew up in their own home town don't know a lot of things as you said as a traveler. It's kind of normal. For example, I know of many New Yorkers who never visited the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building.

Not everybody knows every good restaurant in their own home town usually. It's even common for locals to eat at the so called "tourist traps" too which I've seen in other cities (not that there is anything wrong with it). Also, many cities are always changing stores and businesses and it can be hard to keep up where is where and what store is what, even for a local who lives there.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How do I become an expert?

I'm an empty nester in Louisville and couldn't advise a traveler about the nightlife in Louisville (I understand it's lively!), but I could in the Cannes where we travel for a convention...go figure....

Edited: 08 January 2012, 05:30