We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating for a reasonable cost.

Bolton
Level Contributor
410 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Eating for a reasonable cost.

Is it possible to eat for a reasonable cost?

If so, where and what should I be looking out for?

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,985 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating for a reasonable cost.

What is reasonable to you?

3 courses for under 20euros is easily doable. That's what I call reasonable

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating for a reasonable cost.

If you are looking to eat cheap in tourist areas you may well be disappointed in what you get. If it's lunch for less than €10 then it'll be kebabs, bland paninis or unimaginitvely filled brittle baguettes. Upping the price you want to pay to €15 and you can add a drink (coke is as expensive as beer in Paris) and perhaps grab a pizza.

Mcdonalds and Burger Quick are alternatives.

Nothing as cheap or as good as can be found in Bolton, I'm afraid. Sadly no Greggs or Greenhalgh's pie shops here.

Bolton
Level Contributor
410 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating for a reasonable cost.

No Greggs lol. Best take my own supply of sausage rolls.

I think 20 Euro for a 3 course meal is very reasonable - I would be happy to pay a bit more than that.

CHD
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating for a reasonable cost.

Still if you like to have the best cost effective deal then I would surely like to go with Henneth. I would have suggested to go to the cost effective new deals of burger at Mcdonalds.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating for a reasonable cost.

"I would have suggested to go to the cost effective new deals of burger at Mcdonalds."

I wouldn't even go to a McDonalds here in the US, much less in Paris. Plenty of small shops where you can grab a pastry or a good, fresh baguette.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,916 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating for a reasonable cost.

Most of the boulangeries in the city offer a sandwich on this morning's bread for €5-6. Unlike deli sandwiches in the US, the lettuce is crisp and fresh, and the tomatoes NOT mushy and liquid.

These baguette sandwiches may be big enough to split, depending on your appetite.

If you include a fresh pastry and a soda, it may push the cost up to €7-8 -- way better than any fast-food outlet.

There are also a number of creperies where you can have a crepe and a drink for well under €10 for lunch -- even if you have a dessert crepe. Some of these are kiosks on the street, some are sit-down restaurants; most are pretty good.

***Most importantly***

Restaurants are required by law to post a menu with prices (including tax and service charge) outside the front door. Between this requirement and the abundance of standing chalkboards outside many restaurants detailing the daily specials, it's pretty easy to ascertain what the food and prices are before you enter.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating for a reasonable cost.

"Restaurants are required by law to post a menu with prices (including tax and service charge) outside the front door."

Hint picked up from another TA thread. If the posted menus are printed in English, they're designed for tourists and prices generally tend to be higher.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,916 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating for a reasonable cost.

Not always. It's a yellow flag, but not a deal-breaker...it depends on how good the translation is. If it's perfect and looks like something you could have written yourself, proceed with caution.

If it leaves you scratching your head and wondering what will show up on your plate, it's probably at least okay.

As more and more restaurants jump on the English-menu bandwagon, this rule is becoming less and less reliable.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,642 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating for a reasonable cost.

To keep prices down:

1) Order from the 'prix fixe' menu.

2) Ask for 'Une carafe d'eau', it is perfectly safe to drink tap water in Paris, you don't need to order bottled water.

3) Order 'une carafe' of the house wine, it's perfectly drinkable and 25cl (vingt-cinq) per person - 50cl (cinquante) for two - is enough for a meal, especially if you have the free water as well. You don't need to order a bottle.

Level Contributor
2,781 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating for a reasonable cost.

Just a note on the McDonalds point. When we were in Paris in Nov. Yes we went to McDonalds. (Two kids and all day sight seeing sometimes you do what you got to do) I was surprised I think both times it was full of French speaking folks and not tourists from America. So if you want to really eat like a French person just saying......