We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Group of Ten

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Topic
Group of Ten

I will be taking a group of people, friends and family. About 10 of them, no little kids just adults. Would renting a passenger van and driving them around Paris, Versailles, etc. be more efficient to move around the whole group, instead of buying the weekly metro pass for 5 zones since we want to go to Versailles and the other Fountainbleu Chateau. Or should we just stay on the metro for transportation purposes.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Group of Ten

I wouldn't advise driving around Paris. It's very difficult, especially if you are unfamiliar with the streets, many of which are one way.

And trying to park a big passenger van would be even worse.

Go with the metro.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,721 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Group of Ten

who is driving this truck? where would you plan to park it? traveling around Paris with an enormous group will likely be a nightmare for you if you are 'in charge of' their good time. any chance to delegate the planning and to encourage smaller groups to break off for much of the time? perhaps everyone goes to the Louvre together but breaks into smaller groups inside -- and in the afternoon some go shop and some go on a walk and some head for a small museum?

a giant van will be hard to drive and impossible to park in Paris.

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,090 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Group of Ten

I'm confused. In another post, you mention that you and your wife are going to Nice. Same trip or two trips in one year? Lucky you.

Personally, I would make sure that the other people do some reading before the trip, both for the attractions they may want to see and also the logistics on using the Metro. The entire responsibility shouldn't fall on you.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Group of Ten

I think he said in his previous post that he will be in Paris and in Nice this summer.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Group of Ten

Mr. And Mrs JAS, I will be two different trips. I will be with my family in July and with the friends in June.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,030 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Group of Ten

Do not rent and drive a vehicle in or for Paris. Parking will serioulsy be difficult and you will pay at least 25 euros a day for a parking lot , most hotels do not provide parking, or have it even , you may have to walk blocks to and fron garage each day. Meanwhile you could have walked or taken metro faster .

And finding a ten passenger van will also be very difficult, good luck with that.

I suggest you all use metro and walk ,, its the best and easiest way to see Paris anyways, Give everyone in group a crash course on the metro, its easy to learn,, children learn to take it by 8 or 10, so can't see why a group of adults who are likely educated couldn't,, and english is not needed. The ability to read stop names and line numbers, and use a finger to follow a colored line on a metro map are all you need.

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Group of Ten

Also, I think I read somewhere that you may need a special bus driver's license to rent a van for that many passengers.

About metro tickets; you would not need to get the more expensive Zone 1 -5 Navigo pass, as you would be in zone 1 for most of your travel. Just get a separate ticket for the jaunts to Versailles, etc., in the outer zones.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
975 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Group of Ten

It could be difficult to find a rental van for more than 9 passengers since the 'normal' driving licence in France is valid only for up to 9 people (driver included!); above that 9-persons limit, one needs a professional bus driver licence. Even if you have such a licence for your country, I doubt that it would be recognized in France and in any case vehicles would be quite difficult to find for renting.

Anyway, as many other have said already, driving (and parking!) a mini-van in and around Paris is likely to be a nightmare for you.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Group of Ten

Thanks. Van is out. lol

10. Re: Group of Ten

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2013, 10:22