We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a day trip to London feasible?

Tahlequah, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
133 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is a day trip to London feasible?

We will be staying 6 nights in Paris. This might be the only time I can get Hubby to go. Should I try a day trip to London? 2 adults, 1 teenager and 1 child.

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
503 Reviews
from US$72.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,185 Reviews
from US$108.90*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower...
790 Reviews
from US$123.90*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
629 Reviews
from US$73.80*
New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is a day trip to London feasible?

Sure, but probably not too practical if you're on a very limited budget and also planning to visit Chateau Versailles and Disney.

Recommend doing a bit of homework, such as perusing this forum for similar topics, and determining which destinations you'd find most appealing versus the cost involved.

If you are serious about a day trip to London, the longer you wait to purchase train tickets the pricier they'll be.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
980 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is a day trip to London feasible?

(almost) everything is feasible; but take into account the fact that the return journey will take 6 hours minimum (2.20 journey time each way and you have to check at security at boarding platform at leat 30 mins before). If you leave Paris very early and leave London late, you'll have almost a full day in London, but this is going to be quite a long day (and not cheap for just 1 day). See: http://www.eurostar.com

Edited: 16 January 2012, 22:48
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,509 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is a day trip to London feasible?

Well its doable, but your whole trip is 6 days, then you should weed out one of your day trips,, cause you have already asked about Versailles and Disneyland too.

Buying the Eurostar tickets well in advance will get you the best price, look now|!!

Look on the Eurostar website, apparently RailEurope has higher prices. Put your country in as France and pick up tickets at station or print. Having them mailed is a waste of money. Putting in US on EuroStar site gets you rerouted to RailEurope and higher prices. I have done this 4 times now, its easy.

Once there the museums are free, and I totally recommend them, but with only one day you are really going to have to watch your priorities

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,868 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is a day trip to London feasible?

Day return trip Paris to london

Train Paris to london www.eurostar.com

London Transport www.tfl.gov.uk

Edited: 17 January 2012, 00:33
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26,569 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is a day trip to London feasible?

a good way to convince a reluctant traveler to never travel again is to put them through this kind of logistics hell. 6 nights is 5 days for Paris -- a perfect introduction to the place -- to go through the logistical nightmare and energy sapping experience of trying to do a day trip to London is likely to exhaust everyone

London is an enormous destination -- what you could do in a single day trip from Paris would be akin to renting a video

I would give some thought about how to make Paris a joy for everyone and hope that the trip will whet his appetite for your next trip to London -- and if it doesn't? well take the kids and go without him.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,868 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is a day trip to London feasible?

You will be surprised how many people do the day trip London to Paris on the Eurostar, and there is an inclusive tour company that also offer this service.

When the Hovercraft vessels operated from Dover to Boulogne, London folks would often go over for the day, have lunch and a wander and load up with dutyfree wine and goodies from the delicatessen.

Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,934 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is a day trip to London feasible?

It's feasible, certainly. But London is worth a holiday in itself, and it's one more day that you won't be enjoying Paris!

I'm a Londoner, and I love Paris. I'd love you to be able to enjoy both cities at a relaxed pace.

8. Re: Is a day trip to London feasible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2013, 10:20
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question