We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air travel question

Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Air travel question

We are planning our first trip to Paris for 3 weeks in August, 2012. We live in Delaware and can fly out of NYC, DC or Phila. Looking at airfares so far, the cheapest price is on Icelandair with stopover in Reykjavik. The price is runniing right around $1000 out of Dulles, which is probably the easiest for us, logistically. PHL pricier. JFK about $100 less. Does anyone have any experience with this airliine? The stopover is only 1hour 20 min going and 1hour 5 min returning. Is that enough time at that airport? Does the price sound reasonable or is it wiser to wait a bit- any advice? Thanks

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
481 reviews
from US$72.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,158 reviews
from US$108.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
572 reviews
from US$51.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from US$331.40*
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,800 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air travel question

FWIW If you are looking at NYC, you should also look at flying out of EWR, Newark, N.J. It should be easier for you than NYC. This is what we do, a non-stop on Conti.

Pjk

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air travel question

It would not be worth $100 less to depart from JFK, especially if the flights are with Iceland Air because you are not within a reasonable drive of JFK. It would likely cost you more to park your car for three weeks than any savings. AND, it's very risky to plan to drive that distance the same day as departure.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,410 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air travel question

Check airfare comparisons www.momondo.com

Passenger comments www.airlinequality.com

Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air travel question

Thanks for the suggestion to look at Newark. We have flown out of there before and it is more convenient than JFK. (We are actually not that far from NYC and EWR is about the same distance as Dulles.) When I put in the search for NYC, I thought EWR was included, but I'm finding better fares when I seach specifically for EWR.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air travel question

Don't do a stop on your way from the US. You need "sleep time," and the stop you've suggested is midway. Fly the most convenient route for your way over and your return so you can enjoy your trip.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
357 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air travel question

I know from experience that Continental has non-stops from EWR to CDG. And the fair you quoted seemed high to me. Maybe due to the time of year, but we're flying from Houston, thru EWR, for just under $800. Newark is a big airport and you should be able to find plenty of non-stop options.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air travel question

Flying to Paris is pretty expensive during July and August. I haven't seen a cheaper fare than the OP has posted.

I was looking at both Newark and JFK to depart from in July or August. For a direct flight, I priced $1291 with JFK being cheaper

Angers, Pays de la...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Air travel question

Hello -

I have flown from France to Philadelphia, through Iceland. I stopped in Iceland for a few days. I am looking for airfare as well for around the same time as you, out of PHL, for a friend (as I live in France). I can tell you, I've always got much luckier waiting to buy tickets, than buying in advance. I am also currently registered for notifications from Kayak.com. I haven't seen anything UNDER $900 roundtrip, which seems really high for me. I also recently flew home over Christmas, and got tickets in October for $700 dollars, although with a stopover on my way back to France.

If you are considering stopping in Iceland, the time you are traveling is also during Northern Lights. I had a great time, and it's a beautiful country. I stayed for 6 nights. Iceland air is a great airline as well. You could adjust to the time difference, then head to France for a few days. If you are not going to stay in Iceland, it's no different than stopping in London really. The airport is small, and easy to get through, unlike London or Frankfurt.

Hope this helps.

Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air travel question

Thanks. It did seem like a good option, though I ended up getting tickets from Newark (EWR) nonstop to Paris and one stop on the return in Germany on Lufthansa. Total was $849 on Orbitz, which was the best fare I could find. I really didn't want to wait, as I had to pin down dates to get my vacation from work approved. Also was afraid of the rise in oil prices sending prices up.

10. Re: Air travel question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2013, 10:21