We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Museums

Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Museums

I'm planning to visit to Paris for 4 days in April. I'm thinking about to visit : 1.Louvre 2 Pompidou 3 Versailles and 4.Notre dame de Paris. I have read about Paris Museum Pass for 2 days cost 39EU. The total cost of the above museums is 45EU. My question is: Are the 2 days enough to visit all the above museums or better skip one or two of them and don't buy the museum pass.

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
494 reviews
from US$72.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,171 reviews
from US$108.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
585 reviews
from US$51.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,708 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Museums

You can visit Notre Dame Cathedral and Centre Pompidou in one day, The Louvre depends on what you want to see and how long it will take you to wander around, but depending on the days you're there you could always pop in one evening for an hour or so and dedicate a morning to another area of the Louvre. Versailles will take you a good part of a day. We took an early morning train to Versailles and were there just before they opened their gate. We did a self-guided tour with their headphones, stopped for coffe and dessert in Angelina's, took the Petit Train around the grounds and visited Le Grand Trianon. The entrance fee to Versailles and Le Grand Trianon were covered by the museum pass. We were ready to leave by 2 p.m.

The museum pass is definitely worth it.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,400 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Museums

The Louvre is open some evenings, so you could see some sites in the day , and the museum in the evening, check which days you are coming and which nights it is open.

The Towers accept the pass as payment, but do not allow you to use it to skip the long slow moving line there, ( a primary advantage of the pass). The church itself is free, so no pass needed.

Versailles can eat up almost an entire day, enjoying and seeing all the grounds and other buildings takes time, plus of course there is travel time there and back. The pass is useful here to skip the long long lines, ( but you do have the option of buying a ticket in advance online).

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Museums

You still have to queue in the security lines at Versailles -- which takes far longer than the ticket line.

Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Museums

Thank you very much for the information. I will do my research and let you know

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,708 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Museums

The length of the security line at Versailles depends on the time of day you get there. We took an early train, where there before anything opened and where one of the first 10 people through.

Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Museums

Here's my plan. Not 100% sure. I arrive to Paris 9am Friday 13 of April. About 11am i will be at the hotel. After lunch i start my day by visiting the Aifel tower, Lafayette and then Montmarte. 2nd day Saturday I buy the Paris museum pass and visit early morning Louvre for 5 hours and then Pombidou for another 5 hours. 3rd day Sunday, visit Versailles from 9am-3pm and in the afternoon visit Notredamdeparis. On Monday i will do the river cruise. The rest of the day, plus Tuesday until 5pm will be free to explore anything else.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,708 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Museums

I think that's fine. It's always good to leave some free time, especially at the end.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,400 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Museums

Good point about times for securitiy lines, my daughter and I once arrived around one in the afternoon,, and walked right in,, so later in day can work too. I think it must be worse between 930 and 1130 when all the bus tours and regular tourists from Paris aim to arrive.

Level Contributor
2,979 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Museums

The nice thing about the pass is you can make quick trips into other museums that you may not have gone into other wise. Do you really love modern art? Five hours to me seems like a long time at the Pompidou. The Orsay was one of our favorites or the Orangerie? There are many other museums you can see with the pass if you have any free time. We liked going to the Lourve on the late night. It was a lot less crowded and gave us free time during the day to explore other places.

Enjoy your trip.

Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Museums

Thanks for the advice. Louvre close late on Friday and Wednesday. I arrive on Friday and I don't want to validate the pass in the afternoon. I have been told from some friends that Pompidou is a huge museum but I think you are right. I will visit Pombidou for 2-3 hours and Orsay for about 2 hours.