We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing-- the ugly lingerie

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,377 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Packing-- the ugly lingerie

I have seen a few posts bestowing the virtues packing old clothes and discarding them along the way. And my response is : Ewwwwe...

Yep, done that "old socks and underwear" pack, wear, then toss deal but it gave me no joy. And I thought, why would you want to schlep around a beautiful city like Paris in your worstpossible wardrobe? So many people talk about falling in love with Paris, blah blah blah, that it doesn't make sense at all to go on this date in faded, stained, stretched out undies ! Ewwe..

I want to go to Paris in my few but select nice threads. It makes me feel better about myself and on par in this classy city. Feel free to take your lacy undies, the pushup bras, the tight fitting jeans the low cut top and feel glamourous. Feel great inside and look good for the camera. Smile !

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,148 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Packing-- the ugly lingerie

under packing is not a problem because it is just very easy to fill in any wardrobe gap when you get there. my husband always manages to not have some important thing and picking up a sweater, a shirt, shorts, slacks, jacket, underpants, socks, whatever is never a problem. when in doubt take one rather than two or leave it out -- one rarely misses it and if it is important you can buy it when you get there. I used this strategy this fall in not packing a winter coat -- we were in Europe from September to December. I was prepared to buy a down coat in Paris if needed -- I didn't even end up wearing my silk long johns much less need to acquire a winter coat. So I didn't schlepp it, easily made my 20 kg Easyjet limit and then didn't need it anyway.

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,377 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Packing-- the ugly lingerie

Janet

I have not a problem buying stuff I've forgotten or need. But have you seen the prices of lingerie in the big French dept stores? Beautiful and alluring and all, but also all out expensive, definitely for the special occasion time, ha. It makes Victoria's Secrets looks like a great bargain, and her Secrets are my secrets. Anyhoo, everyone is right, pack what you are comfortable in, no one cares, no one sees, and undies don't take alot of space. But why not make a little effort to put beauty in everything you do or choose ? It's the French way and damn it, we deserve it ;-)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Packing-- the ugly lingerie

Totally agree with you! I'm headed to Paris and I'm using this opportunity to try out a few new fashion outfits. Regarding the undies, Magellans.com sells disposables, bikinis and briefs. Actually, they are sturdy enough to last a couple of machine washings if you want.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,388 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Packing-- the ugly lingerie

there is no way that anyone's underwear could be big enough, bulky enough, or weigh enough to justify buying expensive paper underwear that goes into the trash and fills up a foreign landfill.

Edited: 24 May 2012, 11:24
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
382 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Packing-- the ugly lingerie

I'm actually planning on packing lighter this time, so that I can buy more in Paris.

I posted too much stuff home last time, lol! And yes, the lingerie is expensive in some of the stores, but it is beautiful, & I'd rather be wearing that than paper undies.

I'm sure Hubby would agree!

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Packing-- the ugly lingerie

My wife and I have a plastic bin under the bed into which we stuff underwear and socks that are ready to be thrown out. Instead of throwing them out at home, we then pack them whenever we go on vacation, and throw them out on the road. This has nothing to do with "wearing the same thing everyday while on vacation" (I think there are some confusing cross-currents in this thread! :-) ).

Incidentally, when I arrived in Paris from Munich in March, 1975, I realized that I had left my hairbrush back in Munich. I bought a new hairbrush in a small department store in Paris and have used that brush everyday ever since. So I am all for buying stuff in Paris because my experience is that these things will last a lifetime.

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Packing-- the ugly lingerie

I don't understand the necessity for packing old underwear. Generally speaking, underwear doesn't take up that much space in your luggage anyway. So might as well bring the good undies. I usually just roll mine up and shove them into shoes so it takes up minimal space, even when returning.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Packing-- the ugly lingerie

you're going to throw your underwear out eventually, right? why would you pack dirty underwear to bring home?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,148 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Packing-- the ugly lingerie

My sister-in-law showed us photos of the family from a trip. Everyone was wearing the same clothes in every photo. I asked how they managed to get to all those places in one day. She said, "What? We were there a week!"

end quote

I csn do your SIL one better -- i have snapshots of me taken over a decade in which I am often wearing the same stuff -- because there are some things that have become travel favorites for their versatility and comfort and travelability -- so there I am on the houseboat in Amsterdam in the Patagonia base layer hand me down from the SIL in 2003 and there it is again 2008 in Paris.

the key to traveling light is to not be in junior high where you have to have a new 'outfit' every day of the week -- with a handful of basic pieces you can dress warm and cool, up and down and fit in appropriately in many different settings without hauling much luggage. I have a niece who can manage to look wonderful when traveling with her husband on a motorcycle and having her whole wardrobe in one of those side compartment/trunk like things on the bike

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,148 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Packing-- the ugly lingerie

I don't get the old underwear bit either -- nice underwear is comfortable and since our vacations are at least partly romantic retreats, I don't want to be dressed in rags -- we do however carry old washclothes and ditch those -- washclothes tend to get musty over time when traveling and it is easier to dump them than de-must them

and the qustion 'why would you bring dirty underwear home' is just weird -- who throw their good undies out when they get dirty -- that is what laundry is for -- when they get raggy throw them out -- but who wants to wear faded raggy undwear on the road? not me.