We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aircraft Baggage question

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Aircraft Baggage question

I am taking a handbag, and a cabin bag onto the plane, and checking in my suitcase.

My (adult) son is taking his backpack and a cabin bag on the plane, and checking in his suitcase.

I have never had a problem with a handbag and a cabin bag, intact often I have a backpack instead of my handbag + the cabin bag.

My question is, will my son be ok taking a regular size backpack on the plane, as well as a cabin bag?

We are flying Qantas Melboure - London

Air Lingus Dublin to Paris

British Airways Paris to London

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,856 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aircraft Baggage question

Not if the airlines apply their rules. Go to the web sites of these airlines, read the rules on luggage, and assume that they mean exactly what they say.

Qantas, for example, is 1 piece of cabin luggage of restricted size and under 7 kg plus 1 personal item. A regular size backpack would be too large, and you are not allowed 2 pieces of cabin luggage.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,262 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aircraft Baggage question

The airlines used to let you slip past the regulations...but no more.

Assume that they will weigh and measure all of your bags at every step, and expect them to enforce their regulations, which will cost you money for every step out of their guidelines that you take.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
975 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aircraft Baggage question

A few weeks ago, Cityjet were enforcing very strictly the 1 cabin bag rule on Paris-London-Paris route; many people had to check in excess bags and weren't happy... too bad for them, I was happy! I always travel with only 1 cabin bag (photo bag) and I'm really fed up of all these people who don't respect rules and invade my personal space - because on smaller planes there's just not enough space for all that luggage that people take with them and sometimes it's my poor photo bag that is the victim :(

Read the rules and stick to them; if you don't and have to check in excess bags or have to pay for excess luggage, that would be your own fault.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aircraft Baggage question

Aer Lingus allows "additional small items (camera, personal stereo, overcoat, handbag or laptop)", in addition to a 55cm x 40cm x 20cm cabin bag.

5. Re: Aircraft Baggage question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2013, 09:36