We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Childrens Luggage

Bloomington, Indiana
Level Contributor
114 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Childrens Luggage

We'll be brining our 7 year old with us in March to Paris and Amsterdam, and I'm curious if anyone has suggestions on luggage for her, specifically. She has a backpack for school that I assumed we could use as a carryon for toys, snacks, essentials, etc, but am curious about a small roller-type suitcase for clothes, toiletries, etc. Thoughts?

California
Level Contributor
6,090 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Childrens Luggage

I would let her carry the backpack with her toys and snacks, but she may have difficulties managing her own suitcase full of clothes and all she would need for the trip. If it were me, I would divide her stuff up between my husbands and my suitcases as to not have a 3rd bag to struggle with. We always go carry on only, but in this instance I would imagine we'd have to move up to slightly larger bags and check them.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,052 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Childrens Luggage

Try to minimize what you bring in terms of toiletries and toys, and really decide what the "essentials" are. Snacks can be purchased along the way. That would go for the adults as well--don't over-pack. With a child in tow, you really want to make sure you can handle your luggage without much difficulty. Tie a jacket or sweatshirt around your waists and free yourselves up.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,467 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Childrens Luggage

If it's a smaller rolling case, then it's likely she could handle it herself in most situations...not a bad thing.

There's another school of thought that suggest bringing a larger one for her, as it gives you a little breathing room for anything you might buy en route...but then it's heavy and awkward for two adults to manage three big cases.

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,463 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Childrens Luggage

When son was that little I had him carried a small roller backpack ( you know, the kind with thomas the train, superman and such). It was enough for his toys, flight snacks, and a change of clothes in case of spillage, and maybe a book or magazine (mine :O)

His clothes we carried, and luckily little people have little outfits.

Kids don't mind wearing same things twice, and in this case it's perfectly ok to bring old undies and jettison as you go. Unless we plan to get wet, son wears one pair of walking shoes all the time. One fleecy jacket and long pants for the flight, the lighter shirts and shorts packed away.

We can do all this in 2 22" suitcases, purse, messenger bag, kid bag for a 3 week trip once. I try not to check them in on the way out, but on the way back, I would check in the luggage just for comfort. And it's fun to buy one or two shirts along the way.

Toronto
Level Contributor
715 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Childrens Luggage

Agreed with everyone else. Have him carry his backpack with his toys and maybe a change of clothes. Divide his clothes between you and your husband. If you give him a suitcase, it's likely you'll end up dealing with it. We have always travelled this way with our daughter and this past summer (2 weeks in Mexico, age 11) was the first time she had her own rolling suitcase (20"). At 7, we definitely needed to carry her clothing.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,052 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Childrens Luggage

This can set a precedent for future travels. If she understands that she doesn't bring with her all "usual" stuff from home, then that might make for her expecting to travel light in the future.

I'm surprised at the amount of stuff some families need to bring for comfort and amusement even on short day trips--including videos to watch in the car.

I'm not saying you are tending toward being one of the above, but I'm just suggesting that you have the opportunity to develop some good traveling strategies for your daughter. Enjoying the moment, not needing too many distractions, adapting to change, navigating in a world not catering to her.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,656 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Childrens Luggage

I always brought snacks for my daughter. Airplane food is terrible (my daughter would never eat it), and if a plane is late that can cause time to be too short to purchase snacks. A hungry child is a terrible travelling companion.

Bloomington, Indiana
Level Contributor
114 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Childrens Luggage

mcal - also my thinking, but in a slightly different way. I don't plan on cramming the backpack full of stuff because she's going to have to carry it. We'll make sure we help her narrow down her list of stuff in there so it's manageable - that's part of the learning process, certainly. I'm also thinking that her having to think a bit like us regarding managing all needs (on the plane, and the checked bag) would set the precendence for future travels - it's worked pretty well in the past, but this is our first overseas, not grandma and grandpa's house trip, so I'm considering having her be in charge of a small roller too. She's a smart, capable girl, and I'm trying to make many aspects a learning experience, while also a lot of fun. And let's face it - carrying luggage is no fun for anyone, kid or grownup.

Annette & jrbb - that is exactly my current thinking. What I'm finding currently is that this has actually more to do with my wife's packing than our thoughts for what our daughter needs to have. But we'll be staying in apartments in both places and only moving "base" the one time and we'll have washer/dryer in both places, so I have no qualms about all of my wife and I packing light and splitting her stuff between our 2 suitcases.

Perhaps I should re-title this thread "how to get my wife to see things my way and actually pack light?". :-)

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,016 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Childrens Luggage

An added benefit to outting his stuff in the 2 adukt bags is that if one bag gets lost en route, you'll still have what you need for junior,

minneapolis
Level Contributor
519 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Childrens Luggage

This works for adults, too - my husband and I always split our clothes between our two suitcases so if one gets lost, we both still have clothes to wear.