We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water safe to drink?

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Water safe to drink?

This may be a very stupidignorant question, but I read in one hotel review that they couldn't drink the water from the tap, therefore requiring bottled water. Is this true in Paris? Or was that hotel unusual?

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
488 reviews
from US$73.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from US$110.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
584 reviews
from US$52.10*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.90*
US$336.60
Paris
Level Contributor
776 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Water safe to drink?

Tap water is submitted to more control than any other mineral water and as a matter of fact perfectly drinkable. Unless of course the water pipe hasn't been changed in the last 100 years, then you risk mercury poisoning!

USA
Level Contributor
28,613 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water safe to drink?

One can't say what problems one traveler may have had with the plumbing in one building in a city as large as Paris....but any notion that it isn't safe to drink the tap water in Paris is pretty much unequivocal NONSENSE. Actually, I think un-labeled Parisian tap water has won competitions in 'blind' water-tasting tests against commercially bottled waters.

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Water safe to drink?

Awesome, no worries, thanks!

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,409 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water safe to drink?

The Mairie de Paris has actually sent us all labels for our water (I am not joking) so now it is as trendy as the rest. You can even buy your own special Eau de Paris carafe.

A S
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
654 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water safe to drink?

It should be pointed out that not being able to drink the water somewhere isn't always an insult to the water. Sometimes it is just a matter of being used to it. Even in Thailand or Mexico, where we Americans definitely shouldn't drink the tap water, it isn't so much a matter of the water being dangerous to humans, in reality we aren't used to the unique mix of micro-organisms in their water, which are actually harmless to Thais and Mexicans who have had the water since birth.

USA
Level Contributor
28,613 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water safe to drink?

Perhaps one question that you didn't ask was '..How do I oder ordinary tap water in a restaurant?..'...." Un carafe de l'eau, svp.."...and you will get ordinary tap water rather than bottled water (by law they must serve you tap water if you request it specifically).

As has been mentioned the City of Paris has been actively promoting the quality of its tap water with a campaigne '..EAU de PARIS..' with designer carafes for sale--http://www.sagep.fr/cgi/carafe/carafe.shtml

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,409 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water safe to drink?

It would be even better if you request UNE carafe d'eau.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Water safe to drink?

jengrogs -

I have yet to be in a city in Western Europe where the water isn't potable. I think that Europeans simply drink mineral water more out of habit than anything else - it took a long time after each of the wars to get drinkable water back on line - and of course there was the problem of lead pipes and mercury in the old days.

paris
Level Contributor
401 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Water safe to drink?

Water in Paris is drinkable even if it has a variable chemical taste. But frankly I find it OK compared to the States. You may not want to drink gallons of it but it is fine for brushing your teeth and soft on the skin and hair.

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Water safe to drink?

Sounds like Paris is a third world destination.