We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Paris! Help! :-)

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dumfries, Virginia
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Paris! Help! :-)

I am in my 30's and am taking my 16 year old daugher to Paris for her birthday in December. I am working with a travel agent who tells me that staying in central Paris (district 1) is best because you can get everywhere easily. However, just doing some of my own research, I absolutely love some of the hotels near the Eiffel Tower (district 7). What area is best for a first-timer in Paris?? I can't seem to make up my mind! The hotels in district 1 are larger but seem so "business-like" to me.....thanks!!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
134 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Paris! Help! :-)

The 1st would definitely not be my choice. I like the 4th, 5th, and 6th best. They are all "central Paris".

I generally stay in apartments, so I'll leave the specific hotel recommendations to the hotel people here. You might want to mention your budget, though, to get more specific and relevant responses.

Dumfries, Virginia
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Paris! Help! :-)

200-300 US per night is preferrable....the agents suggested the Novotel in central paris....but I really like Hotel Ares Eiffel near the Tower

Paris, France
Level Contributor
975 posts
315 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Paris! Help! :-)

The 1st and the 7th wouldn't be my first choice. As Parisecret said, 4th, 5th and 6th would be better as being more lively and very central to most 'attractions', particularly with and for a 16 year old. Eiffel Tower isn't that central and can be reached easily. Have a look at a Paris map.

Vermont
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Paris! Help! :-)

I won't know til I get back from Paris, but I've been told it isn't so great near the Eiffel Tower. We are staying in the 5th, close to the Seine and Louvre. Have you thought about apartments? Vacations in Paris might get you started.

Fullerton...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Paris! Help! :-)

I stayed in the 7th this past May and really enjoyed it. Many on TA don't recommend it because it is quieter than other areas of Paris but I found it relaxing after being out and about.

Despite being quieter, there were plenty of cafes, restaurants and shops...plus I had the Eiffel Tower out my window at the Hotel Splendid Tour Eiffel.

So, if your hotel is close to the metro or a bus stop, everything really is close enough...Go for it!

Dumfries, Virginia
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Paris! Help! :-)

How was the evening life there in the 7th??

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,985 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Paris! Help! :-)

There are several Novotel locations, but if your travel agent recommended the Novotel in the 1st (Les Halles), then I suggest that you no longer use this agent. The Novotel Les Halles is in an area that is currently undergoing major construction, and for your agent not to know this indicates he/she is not at all informed of current conditions.

The evening life in the 7th is pretty quiet. I would say rather sterile, but that's opinion. There are times when the street just don't seem populated enough, and there's that deserted feeling. Some find this quiet to be a good thing, but I think you and your daughter can do better. She's 16 and you'll want to be out in the evening.

I like the suggestions you've gotten for the 4th, 5th, and 6th. When I traveled with my (then) 15 year old daughter, we loved the 6th. My suggestion--I think it's in your budget--would be to check out the Hotel Millesime:

http://www.millesimehotel.com/

Since you're not going until December, you have some time to research. In no time, you'll know plenty.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Paris! Help! :-)

My husband and I enjoyed staying in Montmartre, not central but quick and easy to get to, and it had really nice nightlife. Place de Tertres was nice at night and especially sitting on the steps of Sacre Coeur. However, I've only stayed in Montmarte so I have nothing else to compare it to. My next time there we are trying some place else.... maybe :)

Dublin, Georgia
Level Contributor
422 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Paris! Help! :-)

I've stayed in the 7th 3 times and have just booked another apartment there as well. I love staying in the 7th.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,715 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Paris! Help! :-)

The 7th is fine, but if you plan to go out at night and want to be in a lively area, close to many sights and good transportation -- check Hotel Design de la Sorbonne in Latin Quarter, sleek boutique hotel that might be to your taste:

http://www.hotelsorbonne.com/

TA reviews:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187147-d302989…

And another modern hotel in the area -- Grand Hotel St-Michel:

http://www.hotel-saintmichel-paris.com/

TA reviews:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187147-d194274…