We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please evaluate this vacation rental for mid-March

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
25 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Please evaluate this vacation rental for mid-March

www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_194.htm

It is for my wife and myself, mid-30's YUPpies from California. After having visited London and Amsterdam prior to arriving in Paris, we will complete our trip with 5 nights in this apartment.

Any thoughts about location, price, or amenities? VacationInParis seems to get good reviews here.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please evaluate this vacation rental for mid-March

Location....very quiet area, away from main tourist sites, not many local shops or cafes around, a bit of a walk to the nearest metro. You have a wonderful park, the Champs de Mars , on your doorstep and the Eiffel tower.

Price. Aprox 145 euros per night. (Ask about any cleaning charges and security deposit, plus arrangements for refunding security deposits.)

Slightly high price IMO for a one bed apartment away from main tourist sights. Although this is a posh area. Free phone calls which will save a fortune.

Amenities...Spacious apartment, seems well appointed and equipped.The washer will be useful after spending time in London and Amsterdam

Vacation in Paris has a good reputation .

I love the candid description. at least they are honest!

>>The kitchen was recently painted (2010) and is fresh looking and clean, but cabinets are older and very basic, and sometimes a bit harder to open and close. The outside courtyard and window ledges are maintained by the building itself and can sometimes appear a bit ‘dark and dingy’ with some cigarette butts on the ground, but this should not detract from your enjoyment of the property. No one is allowed access to the courtyard.

The bathroom and WC room are somewhat older but everything will be fully functional and clean. The bathroom has a bathtub (has some porcelain worn off the surface with some permanent stains) ."<<"

Denise

love from England

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,189 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please evaluate this vacation rental for mid-March

The location, close to the Eiffel Tower, is excellent. There are supermarkets and other food shopping within steps, along with bus routes to all over.

I think the price is very fair for the space, furnishings, and a bath tub.

Do check with VIP about the keys, though, as they may not be able to mail them to you so far ahead of your stay.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please evaluate this vacation rental for mid-March

I think Denise summed it up very well.

The only thing I might add that would deter me a bit, is that it is ground floor level, so if you like to sleep with your windows open at night, that may or may not be an issue for you. It does say in the description however that no one is allowed access to the courtyard so maybe that would make a difference.

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Please evaluate this vacation rental for mid-March

Mmmmm...have to say, it would not be my first choice. I dislike ground floor apartments, although, as pmmc says, you should not get people walking right outside your windows. But ground floor apartments can be quite dark, especially if facing into a courtyard. And I don't like the idea of all those grubby cigarette butts!

Personally I like a street view, and to be high up (but a street view can be noisy, and high up can mean stairs, so it does come down to personal preference).

The other thing I'm not keen on the sound of, is that stained bath! Well, as Denise says, at least they are honest.....

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
134 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please evaluate this vacation rental for mid-March

The apartment does look lovely, but I agree with the other posters about ground floor apartments. Even if the courtyard is "private", there's just something that bothers me about being at street level. I've found many "perfect" apartments that I was ready to pull the trigger on, but if I see they're on the ground floor, that's a deal breaker. For me.

And, while I appreciate the honesty on the website about the apartment's flaws, there are just too many great and affordable places out there to settle.

I get that you want to see the Eiffel Tower, but, for me, I don't need to see it every single time I walk home or leave out in the morning. I much prefer the 4th, 5th, or 6th, especially for younger folks like yourselves.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
975 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please evaluate this vacation rental for mid-March

Being close to Eiffel Tower may seem nice at first sight, but you should know that the area is rather 'dead' compared to other Paris districts, and as you say that you're 'mid-30's YUPpies from California', I'm really not sure that you'll enjoy the area as it's not 'central' and not particularly lively - of course, it's not bad. I think that it suits more older people. As for the apartment, it looks nice but for a short and first stay, I wouldn't advise staying on ground floor on a small courtyard (what's the point, then, of being close to ET if you can't even see it from your room?). You could have a look at apartments in Le Marais area (4th), or Latin Quarter (5th), or St Germain (6th), where there'll be more life and Eiffel Tower won't be too far anyway.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
25 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please evaluate this vacation rental for mid-March

It's funny, I was avoiding higher apartments because of the incidence of tiny, dingy, and non-working elevators!

Looks like the average temp in March is 7C, so leaving the windows open will be a low priority for us.

I do like things in bustling neighborhoods a bit better, and the streetview did look quiet, but being less than 1km to Rue Cler - less than a 10 min walk - brightens me up. I plan to eat most lunches/dinners out, but I am looking forward to having snacks/breakfast in the room.

I am a bit surprised to hear you express that it is not a good price. Where are you seeing 1br apartments in Paris available for vacation rental for less than $190?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please evaluate this vacation rental for mid-March

Paris Best Lodge has some in the Marais and St. Germain des Pres for less than that price, and both areas are livelier than the Eiffel Tower area.

www.parisbestlodge.com

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,623 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Please evaluate this vacation rental for mid-March

Rue Cler may seem lively in that very quiet part of town but it is still sedate in comparison to the rest of Paris. A 10-minute walk is not nearby by Parisian standards.

I agree with others that $190/night is not a particularly good price. Homelidays has a lot of 1BR apartments under 700 €/week in more desirable and livelier locations.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
975 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please evaluate this vacation rental for mid-March

>being less than 1km to Rue Cler - less than a 10 min walk - brightens me up<

I really don't understand why rue Cler is so popular here on TA ???? Is it because this area of 7th is so dull/quiet that finding a slightly more lively street is considered as a gem? Sorry, but I've never been to rue Cler and never felt compelled to go there, although I was born, and live, in Paris and I'm 63.