We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris to Interlaken/ Lauterbrunnen

Ben Lomond...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Paris to Interlaken/ Lauterbrunnen

We are traveling to Paris and Switzerland before heading to the UK...After 3 nights in Paris we have 9 days and 8 nights in Switzerland. Tentatively planning 2 nights in Interlaken, 3 in Lauterbrunnen, 2 in Dorf (to visit family) and 1 night in Zurich.

Should we spend time in Interlaken or stay 5 nights in Lauterbrunnen. We are very fit seniors in our mid 60s and enjoy cultural venues, history and hiking.

Lastly, it seems the train from Paris has to stop in Les Verrieres before heading toward the Berner Oberland area (according to RailSaver.com. Your thoughts and asuggestions would be appreciated.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,025 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris to Interlaken/ Lauterbrunnen

I have not investigated RailSaver.com but it is giving you poor advice.

To get from Paris to Interlaken, you take a French train from Paris Gare de Lyon to Basle, then a Swiss train. Total travel time is around 5 hours.

For the best prices, book direct with the French train operator as far ahead as possible. Tickets go on sale 3 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets sell out quickly. Prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

You can get train times and costs, and make bookings, in English at www.tgv-europe.com/en but use Antarctic as the "Ticket collection country" on the first screen to avoid being transferred to RailEurope, which has higher prices and does not list all the trains. For notes on online booking, see www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris to Interlaken/ Lauterbrunnen

Excellent advice re RailEurope. Go to SNCF, and to their English pages. Check out the difference in price for yourself, if you doubt.

I would stay in Interlaken the first time because it is more of a hub with spokes to go up the hill in all directions. Everywhere is reasonably close from everywhere else in the Oberland, and remember, "a train on every track in every hour". But for some destinations at the top, you'd need to go into Interlaken, and then up. It just adds time.

Oh, and for going out on the ferries on Brienzersee and Thunersee - at least one of which you must do - you depart from Interlaken. Everything in Interlaken is in walking distance.

Nothing wrong with Lauterbrunnen. I just wouldn't stay there the first time.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,025 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris to Interlaken/ Lauterbrunnen

The link to tgv-europe in reply #1 will take you directly to the English-language web site of SNCF, the French train operator.

Ben Lomond...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris to Interlaken/ Lauterbrunnen

Since you suggested listing the Antarctic to avoid being sent to RailEurope, I am assuming there is still no problem with downloading the tickets in the U.S. or are they snail mailed?....Thanks for your help...O

Ben Lomond...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris to Interlaken/ Lauterbrunnen

Thanks for this suggestion....We were leaning toward staying in Interlaken but I hear so many wonderful things about the mountains from Lauterbrennen we were tempted to bypass Interlaken. Any other suggested "you must see/do" would be appreciated....O

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,025 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris to Interlaken/ Lauterbrunnen

>>I am assuming there is still no problem with downloading the tickets in the U.S. or are they snail mailed?<<

SNCF will not mail tickets to addresses in the US. There are e-tickets for many journeys but, in my experience, not for journeys involving travel on Swiss trains. You will have to select collection of your tickets in France.

However, your US credit card will not work to obtain your tickets from a ticket machine: you will have to go to a ticket counter. There are often long queues at the ticket offices at major stations, so you might do better to go to an SNCF Boutique shop. You can get the shop addresses from voyages-sncf.com/guide/…indexGuide.html - scroll to the bottom and select the region.

To collect the tickets, you will need to have the *exact* same card as was used for the booking.

chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris to Interlaken/ Lauterbrunnen

Sydneynick - I too am travelling from Paris to Wegnen in July. I will 3 month advance purchase Paris to Basel. Do I wait until arriving in Switzerland to purchase Basel to Wegnen. Should I buy Swiss Pass in Basel for 1/2 fare to Wegnen and in Oberland area - or just buy Basel to Wegnen without Pass and then buy Oberland Area Pass. Will stay in Wegnen area for 4 days.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,025 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris to Interlaken/ Lauterbrunnen

Sorry: I am not certain about this and I don't want to give incorrect information. It would be best to ask in the Swiss forum.

australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris to Interlaken/ Lauterbrunnen

Orville104

I am in love with Lauterbrunnen. Our first time in Switzerland we stayed in Interlakken. It was very nice and yes it is central to other places.

But 2 years ago we stayed in Lauterbrunnen and it was everything you can ever imagine about Switzerland. It is small. Very few cars. You are down on the valley floor with the mountains surrounding you. There are waterfalls and babbling streams and pastures of flowers and cow bells and church bells and I just thought I'd landed in Heidi country. Lauterbrunnen is only 20mins on the train to Interlakken. Only minutes to Wengen and Muerren. From Lauterbrunnen you can either hike or take the funicular up to the Schilthorn, or the train to Jungefrau...have I sold you yet? LOL

And my absolute pick of places to stay is Hotel Staubbach. It is a beatiful old manor house...not flash and glitzy and if you get a balcony room you can sit outside after a lovely day hiking or sightseeing and have a glass of wine while watching the cows being herded home and the sun setting.

My hero and I are 60 and we walked everywhere. I even went hanggliding! Another one of the amazing sceneries...dozens of hang-gliders floating down from the mountain tops...I can't waith to go again. Our next trip is in July and now I'm excited all over again. Thank you and have a great trip.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris to Interlaken/ Lauterbrunnen

Ozziewanderer, wow... Lauterbrunnen sounds so wonderful. I'm putting it on my list must see places.