We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sacre Coeur/Montmarte/Moulin Rouge Ideas

Melbourne
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sacre Coeur/Montmarte/Moulin Rouge Ideas

We will be visiting Paris in May and would like to visit Sacre Coeur-to view the church and then hear the nuns sing-approx 5.30pm,Montmarte for dinner and then the 9pm show at the Moulin Rouge Suggestions for things to do in Montmarte after Sacre Coeur visit would be appreciated and also recommendations for dinner-something casual would be great. Looking at the maps I presume all of the above are in walking distance from each other. Am I correct? Thxs TA's once again for all your help.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,984 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sacre Coeur/Montmarte/Moulin Rouge Ideas

For dinner, go to Rue d'Abbesses, near Abbesses metro station. There is a whole range of restaurants and cafés, mostly with lots of French being spoken.

These places are in easy walking distance, but be aware that the Moulin Rouge is in one of the red light districts of Paris. It is not dangerous: just very tacky.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,366 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sacre Coeur/Montmarte/Moulin Rouge Ideas

You might enjoy Le Relais Garcon at 6 Rue des Abbesses which is famous for its large composed salads as well as traditional French fare including Steak Tartare. Or a bit further along is a restaurant/bar La Villa Abbesses which does amazing "large plates" of food on a theme. My fish one had raw salmon, scallops, smoked halibut cut in fine slices, fish rilettes. The duck plate had a small hot shepherds pie of duck, sliced smoked duck, confit drumstick and something else. The Gourmet Coffee platter (very big in Paris at the moment) had espresso, creme brulee with a fire on top, coffee mousse and I think some biscuits. Lots of lovely tastes. They had more regular food as well and a nice selection of wine by the glass. The Sancerre wine bar is also a good place for wine by the glass.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,629 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sacre Coeur/Montmarte/Moulin Rouge Ideas

Yes they are all within walking distance to one another but note that for the 9pm MR show you need to arrive at 8:30 so you must really dine early and fast. Don't walk into a traditional restaurant at 7 hoping you'll be out of it within an hour. Most restaurants don't serve till 7 or 7:30 so make sure you choose a restaurant that serves all day or go to a brasserie.

Edited: 28 January 2012, 12:37
Melbourne
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sacre Coeur/Montmarte/Moulin Rouge Ideas

Thanks guys for this info. Is there an alternative to The Moulin Rouge. Something similar with can-can dancers but without the expense or is this a must see and experience?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,984 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sacre Coeur/Montmarte/Moulin Rouge Ideas

The Moulin Rouge (and similar) is a cast-iron 100% tourist trap. They charge high prices, pack in tourists by the coach-load at tiny tables, and provide formulaic entertainment.

In my opinion, they are not "must see": more "must avoid". But each to their own.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
358 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sacre Coeur/Montmarte/Moulin Rouge Ideas

We were thinking of visiting Montmarte during our first trip to Paris but have grown more "undecided". I looks really nice (in some places) but we just aren't sure it warrants a big chunk of a day out of our 6 days. So much else we haven't seen & we refuse to "rush" to see everything. There will be plenty of reasons for a second visit! :)

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sacre Coeur/Montmarte/Moulin Rouge Ideas

I love Montmartre. One of my favourite things to do at night, was to sit on the steps of Sacre Coeur and just watch the lights of the city. Great views, and often there are alot of people there talking, singing, playing guitar and enjoying wine.

If you can handle the crowds, Place de Tertres is always another nice place to visit, it's where the artists are if you are interested in getting your portrait done. Full of tourists, but charming.

I have never been to the Moulin Rouge, I've seen the outside, but everytime I walked by, there was always HUGE lineup. I had to admit I was underwhelmed by the Moulin Rouge, some of the signs of the adult stores were bigger! lol

Arkansas
Level Contributor
358 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sacre Coeur/Montmarte/Moulin Rouge Ideas

Suzanne, after reading your comments we may reconsider.Other than the MR, all that you mentioned sounds right up our alley.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,066 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sacre Coeur/Montmarte/Moulin Rouge Ideas

Montmartre is picturesque and charming but IMHO (and YMMV) the Moulin Rouge and PLace Tertre are not part of the charm.

If you get off the metro at Lamarck Caulaincourt and then go up the steps above the exit to Caulaincourt and turn left and wander towards Sacre Couer, you will stroll through some beautiful streets and finally emerge to the back or side of Sacre Couer -- then walk to the front of the church and there is a great view of the city --

we like Le Cottage Marcadet for a leisurely lunch or dinner -- it is a couple of blocks from the Lamarck-Caulaincourt exit down a block and to the left -- we once had an excellent meal at Les Hommes Tranquille on Rue des Martyrs and once had an okay meal there -- small family run restaurant. And there are lots of places by Abbesses metro that are lively, spill into the street and offer okay places to eat. I don't get Le Relais Garcon -- the salads are big but that is about it -- if you like a giant bowl of greens with fried onions on top -- and whatever other topping ordered, this is your place. Definitely a quantity over quality experience IMHO.

Everyone has their fantasy of Paris and if the Moulin Rouge is yours, why not? You can then come here and warn people off or cheer people on who also are thinking about it.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
979 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sacre Coeur/Montmarte/Moulin Rouge Ideas

keith71_98 : you could read Kerouac2's reportage in Montmartre and I'm sure that you'll have a different view about this district; follow this link: anyportinastorm.proboards.com/index.cgi…