We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TGV questions

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
109 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
TGV questions

I was thinking of buying a railpass - the Saverpass (any 4 days unlimited train travel in 1 month) from www.raileurope.com. I then went to About Reservations (on the left of this page) and then I chose Premier Trains - TGV and I booked our first leg of the trip and chose the "I have a rail pass" option. The results of the search came out and it said that I have to pay X amount for the first leg of the trip? So am I double paying - once for the Saverpass and again for the cost of the first leg of our trip? If I am double paying what is the point of the Saverpass? How is it worthwhile to buy one of these passes? I am confused.

More confusion...

If I go to http://www.voyages-sncf.com, am I just buying regular tickets for the different legs of my trip - that is, these tickets are independent of the Saverpass?

Also on this site, I noticed links to PREMS, iDTGV. What should I use to book my tickets?

What is the advantage of using one method of buying tickets over the other??? What am I not understanding....

Our itinerary is as follows - Bob S we took your recommendations!

*Paris (3 nights), then onwards to Bordeaux

*Bordeaux (2 nights), then onwards to Montpellier

*Montpelllier (2 nights) onwards to Nice

*Nice (2 nights), then onwards to Avignon

*Avignon (2 nights) then onwards to Lyon

*Lyon (2 nights) and the back to Paris

Thanks

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,493 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TGV questions

Bumping! Someone help her...

Level Contributor
590 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: TGV questions

If you buy the rail pass from rail europe you must purchase all your tickets from that site not the sncf site. If you purchase thru. the sncf those tickets are independent of the Saverpass

TGV are extra(but reduced)

Go to the top left hand corner to purchase your other tickets.

The tickets are cheaper than if you purchase thru. sncf site.

11 euros Bordeaux to Montpelier

11 euros Montpelier to Nice 11 Euros

I did not check Nice to Avignon

If you purchase the France 4 day Pass you will need to purchase the Avignon to Lyon and then Lyon to Paris. I think the SaverPass you can use the saverpass to begin in Bordeaux and purchase the TGV on the site I listed below.

PREMS and IDTGV are less expensive than the regular tickets however are non refundable.

There is also another site for sncf. use www.sncf.fr then at the upper top corner there is a pop up box to voyages.scnf.com.

This site is different than the www.voyages.scnf.com in that some

of the fares are cheaper. For example I found a TGV Paris to Bordeaux for 22.90 Euros versus the 60 plus on the TGV site.

Bordeaux to Montpelier for 37 Euros.

Level Contributor
590 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: TGV questions

Addendum On the site choosing www.sncf.fr then at the upper top corner there is a pop up box to voyages.scnf.com.

There are also listed specials Lyon to Paris if I recall.

Level Contributor
590 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: TGV questions

Addendum On the site choosing www.sncf.fr then at the upper top corner there is a pop up box to voyages.scnf.com.

There are also listed specials Lyon to Paris if I recall.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,161 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TGV questions

>> TGV are extra(but reduced)

The only extra you have to pay if you have a rail pass valid in France is the mandatory reservation (3Euro at the station, and whatever inflated price at raileurope.com)

boston
Level Contributor
330 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TGV questions

Before going to France, I was very confused about the SNCF and the Raileurope options for ordering tickets. I was going to be in Paris on weekdays and Rennes on weekends and so I had several tickets to buy. Add to this the input from my husband who had traveled to the same places during the Christmas season and he only used the SNCF website.

What I finally decided to do was buy my first set of tickets from Raileurope and had them sent to me in the mail. Then once in France, I went to the SNCF offices at the train stations and bought tickets there. It worked better for me because 1) I had a better idea of how my traveling habits were in France and what I could handle and 2) With some knowledge of French, I could handle most of the conversation, write some things down (be very specific when writing out a date because they use a different notation for mm/day/year!).

Since we were staying very near the station in Rennes, it was not horrible to catch a 8:30 a.m. TGV to Paris. I don't think I would have planned on doing that if I had been staying elsewhere.

Good luck! French people proved to be very helpful. Always say Bonjour, Madame or Bonjour, Monsieur (or Bonsoir if it is evening!) when beginning any interaction and you will have shown yourself to be a very civilized person!