We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling with old parents and kids

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
70 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
traveling with old parents and kids

Me and my husband are looking at traveling to Europe with our parents and 2 kids in May. Have about 3 weeks.

Want to cover Paris, some bits of Switzerland, Prague, Vienna and Budapest.

Suggestions of how to go about this.... Would prefer the trains and ideally start from Paris.We have been to Paris before.

Any other itineraries to fit in those days and cover some bits in a relaxed way.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,378 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling with old parents and kids

Keep in mind that, traveling from India, you will lose most of your first day and your last day to airport logistics.

You will lose most of a day traveling between any two cities.

You need two nights in any one place to have one full day of sightseeing. With the itinerary you have set, you will be spending the better part of 7 days just getting from one point to the next.

With young children and elderly parents, you will not make top speed.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
70 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling with old parents and kids

That's a point...we could just do Paris, Prague and Budapest. Only worry is that the city hopping might not provide much variety in terms of what we could do.

Any suggestions on itineraries?

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,995 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling with old parents and kids

How old are the kids? If they're old enough to enjoy some outdoor adventure, then Interlakken would work well as a break from cities.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
357 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling with old parents and kids

Haven't been to Budpest before, but Paris and Prague by themselves would be enough to keep me busy for the whole trip. I find it more enjoyable to slow down and relax. Try to soak up the experiences instead of being constantly stressed over travel logistics.

I recommend you pick two destinations and enjoy each more thoroughly instead of rushing through several stops.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
70 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: traveling with old parents and kids

Thanks Guys.

The kIds are 3 and 9.

Interlaken sounds good.

So,

Paris 4 days

Interlaken 3

Vienna 4

Budapest 4

Prague 3

This gives me enough room and 3 days more to figure travels in and out.

Is this a good order to follow ...Will they be comfortably connected by trains, overnight or scenic day trains?

Hope it will be a good mix. Don't won't to be doing too much of sightseeing anywhere. Just some part of the day a bit of walking around, visiting museums, squares. And maybe some adventure activity for just me , my husband and our 9 year old.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

6. Re: traveling with old parents and kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2013, 10:32