We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Paris visit - help with itinerary for 3 full days

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
157 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
First Paris visit - help with itinerary for 3 full days

Hubster and I will be visiting Paris in October for 5 nights.

I've said our itinerary is for 3 full days not 4 because one full day will be spent at Disneyland :)

We have booked accommodation at Hotel Paris France on Rue de Turbigo in the 4th. The aim of our trip-planning research is to come up with an itinerary that includes our must-sees whilst allowing us some free-time to just experience the place we're visiting. We also try to get the best value for money as opposed to the cheapest. We're not big foodies and we don't plan on doing much if any shopping. We're not really art lovers either.

Aside from the must-sees that I've included in my draft itinerary, we would also like to visit some gardens, maybe check out Forum des Halles, and visit the Arc de Triomphe, the Pantheon and Champs-Elysees if we can easily fit it into our schedule without back-tracking.

I would really appreciate your advice on the following - maybe suggest why I should or shouldn't take particular tours, or if there's a more logical order to do it in. Also, please don't advise me against Disney, because visiting every Disney park in the world is #1 on my bucket list!

Sunday: arrive at hotel around 16:00 (exhausted from very long flight from Australia)

~ do a Seine River cruise (possibly with Vedettes du Pont Neuf because it departs from Ile de la Cite which I think is closer to where we'll be)

Monday:

~ visit Notre Dame (possibly with the www.paris-walks.com 10.30am tour)

~ climb the Note Dame Towers

~4 hour Segway Tour 2pm

Tuesday:

~Disneyland.

Wednesday:

~Visit Montmartre. The annual grape festival is on at this time and we would like to spend half a day exploring and enjoying this area. We are considering the 10.30am tour with www.paris-walks.com

~have nothing planned for the afternoon

~ evening Eiffel Tower visit. We want to go right to the top!

Thursday:

~Louvre (2-3 hours). Am considering a skip-the-line tour that takes visitors to just the "main" pieces.

~wander the Marais

Friday:

~fly out early to Naples for 3 weeks in Italy

Thanks in advance

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Paris visit - help with itinerary for 3 full days

Sunday: If I were you, coming of such a long flight, I would not be able to enjoy a river cruise. I would me much happier walking around, maybe getting to know your neighborhood.

Monday: Maybe take that cruise that evening?

Tuesday: After Disneyland, you will need to take RER A to get back to Paris. If you get off the RER at Charles de Gaule/Etoile stop, you will be directly underneath the Arc de Triomphe (and have an awesome view as you ascend on the metro escalator to street level). Then you can walk on the Champs Elysees, and pop into a metro once you get tired.

Wednesday: How about walking through Latin Quarter & St. Germain des Pres in the afternoon? In addition to the Pantheon, you could also stop by rue Mouffetard and Luxembourg Gardens. You won't be too far from the Eiffel Tower.

Thursday: Les Halles is located in between the Louvre and the Marais. You could walk around that area and see more - like Place Vendome, rue St. Honore, Centre Georges Pompidou, rue Montorguiel..

Hope this helps!

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
157 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Paris visit - help with itinerary for 3 full days

Thank you Rasteriasha, your suggestions make perfect sense!

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Paris visit - help with itinerary for 3 full days

I think if you know nothing about art, a guided walk in the Louvre is the way to go, I used Paris walks, ( which I think is Thursday evening) which was really good for an art pleb like me.

However, as you are not art lovers, why don't you skip the Louvre, (it is not obligatory!) Just admire the outside, save your money and visit one or two of Paris lovely parks instead...

. Parc Monceau in the 8th is easy to get to and is lovely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parc_Monceau

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…A9e_Nissim_de_Camondo

There is a lovely House, with an interesting history, to see on the periforary Musee Nissim du Comondo, You will impress your friends having found this "gem" LOL!

Also Parc de Buttes Chamont is the most beautiful park, with little winding paths and a high point the Temple of Sybil, with stunning views over Paris

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Parc_des_Buttes_Chaumont

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Parc+de+Buttes+Chaumont&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=bEkuT6K0FtK3hAeXxaX4Cg&ved=0CGEQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=485

A much better use of a limited 2-3 hours in Paris for some. You can always pretend you visited the louvre, nobody will know! LOL!

Denise

Love from England

Edited: 05 February 2012, 09:38
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Paris visit - help with itinerary for 3 full days

If you decide you don't want to go inside the Louvre, it's a magnificent building worth seeing, just to understand the sheer size of it - and the Tuileries park behind it is very relaxing, with views of Eiffel Tower in the distance...

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
157 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Paris visit - help with itinerary for 3 full days

thank you grndma, much appreciated :)

6. Re: First Paris visit - help with itinerary for 3 full days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2013, 10:21