We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can You Please Help Identify the People in this Picture?

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
712 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Can You Please Help Identify the People in this Picture?

I am doing a presentation for my French class on Saint Germain des Prés during the 40's and 50's. I can identify a few people in this picture as being from that time - Sartre, Prévert, Gréco, Bechet - but I don't know who the others are and if they correspond to the era that I am talking about. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

http://www.google.fr/imgres?q=images+de+theatre+avant-garde+saint+germain+des+pres&hl=fr&biw=872&bih=895&tbm=isch&tbnid=T0Alvtr997hGuM:&imgrefurl=http://jazz2fan.skynetblogs.be/archive/2010/03/15/saint-germain-des-pres-4.html&docid=woAABTw8kNNvaM&itg=1&imgurl=http://static.skynetblogs.be/media/121509/dyn008_original_500_333_pjpeg_2581086_028396130d0cb4295e11ae3cfcbcfdc1.jpg&w=500&h=333&ei=SD84T6HgKYyHsALq16j1AQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=109&vpy=165&dur=352&hovh=183&hovw=275&tx=119&ty=81&sig=113490255004093430650&page=1&tbnh=141&tbnw=212&start=0&ndsp=16&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,314 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can You Please Help Identify the People in this Picture?

Georges Brassens (with the mustache) upper left, then Sidney Bechet upper centre, Jean-Paul Sartre upper right

Juliette Gréco bottom left, Jacques Prévert bottom center, Yves Montand at the piano (on the right) and Francoise Sagan bottom right

The only one I missed is the one right under the word Flore (of Café de Flore)

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
712 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can You Please Help Identify the People in this Picture?

That's great! Thanks so much. Only problem is that even though Brassens sang in the 50's that picture appears to have been taken much later. I'm thinking that might be Boris Vian upper rt corner. It doesn't really look like him but his name is next to it. Really like the picture so think I might use it despite the older Brassens. Thanks again.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
531 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can You Please Help Identify the People in this Picture?

Ah... Jacques Prévert and Yves Montand... Brings to mind Les Feuilles Mortes, my fav. French song...

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,629 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Can You Please Help Identify the People in this Picture?

The guy in the top right-hand corner under the word Flore is Mouloudji.

I just don't know who is sitting with Yves Montand in the middle since we only see his back.

Edited: 13 February 2012, 21:05
Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,629 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Can You Please Help Identify the People in this Picture?

The guy sitting on a bench / chatting with Yves Montand reminds me of Albert Camus because of his haircut but I am not aware that the two men were acquainted although it's highly probable they were.

Edited: 13 February 2012, 21:30
Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
712 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can You Please Help Identify the People in this Picture?

You guys are the best! Yes, I see what you mean about the haircut looking like Camus. Thanks so much.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can You Please Help Identify the People in this Picture?

I recognized the Eiffel Tower and the Cafe de Flore!! Hahaha.

The others, not so much.

8. Re: Can You Please Help Identify the People in this Picture?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 20:23