We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Many Hotels?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
242 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
How Many Hotels?

My husband and I (mid 30s) will be traveling from Copenhagen to Paris in mid-September. This is our first time in Paris and we will be there for 7 nights.

One full day will be designated to the Louvre.

Our "Must sees/dos" are:

Seine River cruise

Eiffel Tower

Notre Dame

Champs Elysees

My husband mentioned it might be good to stay in two hotels - one closer to the Eiffel Tower and one closer to the Louvre.

I don't think there is a need for it, but I was wondering what others thought.

We are willing to spend around $300/night. He definately wants a/c, and I want a private bathroom (don't care if it is a shower, tub, or both).

Essex
Level Contributor
26,726 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Many Hotels?

Paris has a comprehensive Public Transport System and it is easy to get from one place to another.

The 'sights' are spread out a bit, true, but they are not millions of miles away from each other!!

ONE hotel will be adequate for your stay. Don't waste time and 'faff' unpacking, repacking and moving, that's just silly!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Many Hotels?

If you're just concerned about convenience, it would be a lot more convenient just to take public transportation as necessary, and stay in the same hotel all week. It's very easy to get around Paris by bus or metro.

Essex
Level Contributor
26,726 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Many Hotels?

What with this thread and the other from shaun, worried about his wife going to Paris, one wonders what is getting into the heads of men these days!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Many Hotels?

If you are visiting Paris for a week, you might even consider renting an apartment.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,029 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Many Hotels?

there is no advantage to staying near the Eiffel Tower -- pick a hotel in a nice neighborhood in the 4th, 5th or 6th where you can walk to many sites and enjoy strolling through charming streets --- public transport in Paris is great and will wisk you to outlying sites like the Eiffel Tower or Montmartre -- take a look at Henri IV Rive Gauche which is well located and in your price range - has great AC and a great view on the street side (and double glazed windows)

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,647 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Many Hotels?

A week is not that long but it's of course possible to switch hotels to stay in different areas. We do this but we stay longer, usually 5-7 days in each, and it works well because I'm the type to pack quickly and just drop stuff off and head out.

Hôtel Britannique is charming and well situated, not far from the Louvre and should fit your budget.

http://www.hotel-britannique.fr/?lang=en/

TA reviews:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187147-d198174…

Edited: 13 February 2012, 04:15
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,647 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Many Hotels?

And should you decide to switch -- Hôtel Muguet is a nice little hotel a 15 minute walk from the Eiffel Tower and very close to les Invalides (Army Museum and Napoleon's tomb), market street rue Cler and metro.

http://www.hotelparismuguet.com/

TA reviews:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187147-d271839…

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
242 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How Many Hotels?

Thanks for the info and hotel recommendations everyone,

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
20,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How Many Hotels?

Well, there is an advantage to staying near the Eiffel Tower. And, that is getting to see it first thing every day and last thing every night - and from your room/apartment if you find one with a view of same. Some, myself included, cannot get enough of it.

September is a very busy month in Paris, so it's prudent to book something forthwith for the best selection.

I would rather have and not need a/c, but don't insist on in when visiting in September.

One thing I do insist on, however, is a bathtub with shower. More often than not, "shower only" is so small you can't turn around, hit the walls with your elbows lathering your hair, there's no place for your toiletries, and you can forget about shaving your legs.

I'd would recommend considering an apartment as well. It's wonderful to have a kitchen, seating other than the bed, a proper dining table/chairs.

On a first visit, most go all over, so there's really no point in staying in two different locations. But, if that's what you feel like doing, it really doesn't take long to pack and move.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,475 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How Many Hotels?

I actually prefer shower only, I find the tub/shower combos are sometimes a tub with only a hand held shower, or a tub with a hand held mounted shower head, but only a 1/2 glass partition , so the bathroom floor gets wet. I have never had trouble in a show

er, but I am not very large either,, perhaps for a grown man of 200 lbs it would be different.

Inna suggested a few good hotels, I would add Hotel Le Regent, ( deluxe rooms only, the standard rooms are tiny) , they have nice big bathrooms, and fair ( for Paris) sized rooms, plus a great location, cafes, markets, metro stops all nearby.

I have stayed in two hotels per stay too, but only because one didn't have my whole time vacant, and only for longer stays like Inna.

As noted, September is high season for hotels, book now to get best prices and selections . I sometimes book a hotel with a good cancellation policy( no penalty or like a 5 euro booking fee) and then continue to look for something l like better , just so I know I have a bird in the hand so to speak)