We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off-the-beaten-path tours/attractions

Boston...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Off-the-beaten-path tours/attractions

My wife and I are heading to Paris in April. Can anyone offer suggestions for any non-touristy tours (is that an oxymoron?)/places to visit? We love to walk a city and get a feel of it that way, so we're really open to any suggestions.

We've been before and done the big museums and attractions (we'll still hit a couple of our favorites). This time around, we're trying to get see a bit more of the city that we didn't experience the first time.

Any and all suggestions welcome!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off-the-beaten-path tours/attractions

I think most tours will be touristy. But you could try Meeting the French. We took the tour of the Gerard Mulot chocolate workshop, and watched them make their wonderful masterpieces - and macarons too! And of course you get to sample them. The price was decent too - I think it was only 12 euros.

They have lots of other tours to choose from:

www.meetingthefrench.com

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
6,032 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off-the-beaten-path tours/attractions

A couple suggestions for nice walks...Check out Bercy Village, parc de Bercy and Bibliotheque Mitterand.

Parc Andre Citroen is really cool as well.

Walk of the 12th - maybe start with the Bastille market, walk to Promenade Plantee, pop into a couple art shops on Avenue Daumesnil, end up at Bois de Vincennes.

If you haven't walked up and down and all across Montmartre, I highly recommend it! A small museum that is one of my favorites is the Espace Salvador Dali. And you can end the day around place des Abbesses, plenty of options for cute cafes and restaurants.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off-the-beaten-path tours/attractions

I'll second Rasteriasha's suggestion of the Promenade Plantée. If you have the stamina, walk all the way to the Chateau Vincennes. It's lovely. You can métro back if it's all too much walking.

Also, a picnique at the Butte Chaumont if the weather is fine. And I love the back of the Butte Montmartre; so different from the crowded Sacre Coeur area. And if you haven't visited the Vaux le Vicomte, it's a wowser!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,719 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Off-the-beaten-path tours/attractions

The Clemenceau Museum was interesting ... it's his own apartment exactly the way it was the day he died: http://www.musee-clemenceau.fr/en/index.php

From there it's a pleasant walk to the Musee Marmottan.

We also enjoyed the Musee Delacroix ... small, off the beaten path and also in his apartment/studio. http://www.musee-delacroix.fr/en/

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,223 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off-the-beaten-path tours/attractions

Here are a few previous posts on the topic. You can find a lot more by using the search box here and entering off the beaten path. YOu'll have enough suggestions for a year in Paris!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k42391…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k35285…

Have a great time!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,498 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Off-the-beaten-path tours/attractions

You could walk along the Canal Saint Martin watching for the few boats to pass by and seeing how they get those bridges out of the way.

Just before the canal disappears underground you can have lunch at the Verre Vole, 1/2 block form the canal on the rue Lancry...

http://www.leverrevole.fr/

Pjk

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Off-the-beaten-path tours/attractions

We are going this summer. No matter where we travel, I try to find a botanical garden of sorts. Paris has several options and also some great parks. We will be going to the Albert Khan Japanese Garden ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyhh0SNwQ3k ), the rose garden and the Rodin garden, and Giverny this year with a picnic basket. Something to think about.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,674 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Off-the-beaten-path tours/attractions

there are literally dozens of 'Paris Walks' type books -- I'll bet your library or bookstore has more than one -- picking a few walks and using the guides to structure them is a great way to see more of the city.

We also sometimes just aim for a metro stop and explore from there -- see a couple of examples of Paris walks we did this fall on my blog www.janettravels.wordpress.com -- the walk from Parc Citroen to the Eiffel Tower was particularly pleasant on a sunny day as was the one from Parc Belleville to Butte Chaumont via the Belleville Friday market.

Having a walking guide helps you pick an interesting path and have some commentary -- I know we would never have found the Russian Orthodox church in the 20th without some guidance.

I once took a graffiti art walk in the 19th that I found on line -- the reference to that is also listed in the description of that walk in my blog.

I would avoid tours which are by definition touristy -- go poke around on your own with a 'walk' map or two

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
185 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Off-the-beaten-path tours/attractions

Consider a visit to the famous Sorbonne. Here is an earlier thread about this.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k20657…

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Off-the-beaten-path tours/attractions

You might be interested to do the Marais Walk as described here: ricksteves.com/plan/…marais.htm