We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

credit card fees with air france

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
credit card fees with air france

I just went to make 3 separate one way flights using air france until I got to the final payment section where they want to charge me A$30 per person to pay my credit card!!! With 2 of us & 3 flights that's an extra $180 on top of the flight charges!

Does anyone else think that this is a rip off?

If i had a visa debit card (which I don't) i could book with no fees. Why???

The other odd thing I discovered, I thought that multi-flight booking would save time (& credit card fees!) but it was over 10 times the cost of doing individual flights!! Again, why???

I'm now searching for another airline that charges a reasonable fee for credit card payments. Any hints?

(flights venice to nice; nice to paris & dublin to london)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
975 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: credit card fees with air france

The travel forum might be more appropriate than the Paris forum

Edited: 19 February 2012, 13:11
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: credit card fees with air france

isn't this the travel forum? It's what came up when I clicked on "travel forum" to the left of screen! Took me ages to work out how to post this....not sure how to change it :-)

Edited: 19 February 2012, 13:23
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: credit card fees with air france

I think Paul meant the Air Travel Forum, you'll find it to the right on this page.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: credit card fees with air france

oh...thanks for that!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,711 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: credit card fees with air france

I agree that this is outrageous. I thought Easyjet was outrageous but their fees are tiny compared to that. How else would one buy tickets on line except with credit cards? Just another way to jack up prices surreptitiously

Boston...
Level Contributor
535 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: credit card fees with air france

I had the same problem with air france.I ended up booking one way flights and paying thru expedia.com without any fees.I did not pay any fees or surcharges.I guess that is why we ask questions,check different sites and options.

Singapore
Level Contributor
303 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: credit card fees with air france

I had the same problem booking Air France tickets. I only realised at the point when the total bill was shown on my screen that what I thought was a S$20 per transaction using credit card was actually S$20 per ticket purchased. I felt rather upset, so I looked up other booking sites such as Zuji.com. I still pay slightly less by booking with Air France directly using credit card.

If I had known that the extra fee is chargeable for each ticket purchased rather than each transaction, I would have thought twice about using credit card. I might have paid upfront with a deduction from my savings bank. I was given that option as well. I agree the fee is a rip-off.

Toronto
Level Contributor
715 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: credit card fees with air france

We just bought tickets directly through Air France a few weeks ago and we were not charged any additional fees for using a credit card. We're flying Toronto to Paris. Why would it be different elsewhere? (honest question)

Edited: 19 February 2012, 19:17
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: credit card fees with air france

We have also never been charged credit card fees in our 2 bookings with Air France out of Montreal. Maybe there are different fees depending where you book from?

Air France also gave us a discount on our grandson's seat (he's 8), which I frankly didn't expect since my experience has always been that once the child is over 2, they pay the same price as an adult since they are taking up the same seat.

Jo

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,776 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: credit card fees with air france

In Australia almost all airlines charge for credit card use. Sometimes it is about 2 or 3% and other times it is a flat charge - Qantas also charges $30 for international flights.

JoDen most airlines in Australia offer children's fares up to the age of 11 for international flights - typically it is 75% of the adult fare.