We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eating in paris 2012

London, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
eating in paris 2012

Would be interested to hear from anyone with recommendations to interesting resturants in paris- we like 3 stars and Steak and Fries -so we are very eclectic in our tastes.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: eating in paris 2012

I like that - ¨3 stars and steak and fries¨.

My recommendation would be to take a look at the Michelin Red Guide for that area of Paris where you will be staying. Otherwise given your overall criteria, you´ll have hundreds, make that thousands, of restaurants from which to chose.

dininginfrance.com/online_restaurant_guides.…

You can purchase the Red Guide as an app for your phone:

…apple.com/us/…

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: eating in paris 2012

I always recommend Macéo:

maceorestaurant.com/maceo_paris_welcome.html

Interesting and unique dishes and never had a bad meal there (been four times now)

Edited: 19 February 2012, 17:13
Paris, France
Level Contributor
975 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: eating in paris 2012

If you can read/understand some French, you could have a look at Gault & Millau website (it's the web version of another famous restaurant guide - not red but yellow): http://www.gaultmillau.fr/restaurant/

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,803 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: eating in paris 2012

For steaks in general, Robert & Louise http://robertetlouise.com/ Don't know about stars but they have great sauteed mushrooms.

Pjk

Level Contributor
119 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: eating in paris 2012

Definitely Les Ombres but have reservations. It's next to Eiffel Tower and it's on the 5th floor of Musee Branley. You must make reservations for dusk or after dark. You want to be there when the Eiffel Tower twinkles! Prices are 50 dollars up. I had the filet and it was great but it's the view that you pay for!

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: eating in paris 2012

I use a variety of resources for selecting restaurants.

On www.ViaMichelin.com, restaurants can be sorted by stars, good value, arrondissement, etc.

On www.TheFork.com, restaurants can be sorted by customer ratings, area and arrondissement, etc. and the listings indicate whether the restaurant is listed in the Michelin guide or Gault Millau. You can find all the restaurants on TheFork that are listed in the Michelin guide here: lafourchette.com/restaurant-Paris-Guide-MICH…

There are also many Michelin-starred or rated restaurants that are not listed on TheFork. Usually the listings on ViaMichelin include a link to the restaurant's own website.

Edited: 21 February 2012, 22:31
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,317 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: eating in paris 2012

Regulars will groan "here she goes again" but for me Guy Savoy. However, book a few months in advance (via the website)

…blogspot.com.au/2011/06/paris-3-dinner-at-g…

For a view it is hard to beat Le Jules Verne and it is very, very good, but you go also for the view. To my mind the food is not quite at the Guy Savoy standard which may be why it doesn't have three stars. Still, a memorable experience.

Have the "Bolt" for dessert (really a hex nut) It has gold leaf in it to give the metallic shine but is really a very decadent choc dessert. Again, book well in advance.

…blogspot.com.au/2008/08/jules-verne-restaur…

For a cute little bistro just off the Champs Elysees which has fantastic steak frites try Cafe Victoria, very "French" of the imagination type bistro

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g187147-d…

Paris, France
Level Contributor
975 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: eating in paris 2012

I'm not going to groan at all as I think that Guy Savoy is a great place... But it's not the only one in Paris ! And I think that there's no comparison to make with Le Jules Vernes; one is for the food, the other one is for the view and the memory and experience. Two different restaurants, not the same category, not the same expectations.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,317 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: eating in paris 2012

The food was still very good, but yes, JV is a different experience. Quite a "celebratory" place. Alas, there are not many opportunities for us to check out the other starred places and we sort of have to save up for just one per trip. I have a hankering for Le Grand Vefour and that amazing view from Tour d'Argent while eating the pressed duck.

Edited: 22 February 2012, 01:01
Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: eating in paris 2012

i ll visit paris for a few days and my first choice from reviews and everthing would be cafe constant/cocottes and les papilles