We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marie Antoinette attractions?

Sligo, IRE
2 posts
Save Topic
Marie Antoinette attractions?

I am visiting Paris this summer for the second time in my life and I've always been a fan of Marie Antoinette. I'm going to be doing a project on her next year and so thought I could use the trip as a chance to check out some tourist attractions relevant to her and her life for a better perspective.

I was wondering if people could tell me the top interesting or fun attractions in Paris I should check out to do with her?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,467 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marie Antoinette attractions?

Watch the movie -- it will highlight a lot of places.

Probably the most important would be Versailles, and make sure to visit the Petit Hameau where she played at being a sheepherder.

The movie has a rather wild party that she attends in the museum - at the Opera Garnier

There are quite a few articles of her jewelry and furniture at the Louvre:

www.louvre.fr/recherche-globale…

as well as a lovely marble bust that I unfortunately cannot find on the website, nor remember what gallery in which it can be seen.

Burbank, CA
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marie Antoinette attractions?

You should also go to La Conciergefie where Marie-Antoinette was imprisoned before meeting her death at the guillotine. You can see her prison cell and some items belonging to her.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marie Antoinette attractions?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

There are so many places in and around Paris that are tied to Queen Marie Antoinette (who I also love reading about) - first of all would be Chateau du Versailles, Le Petit Trianon and the Hameau - it gives you a very good idea of the grandeur that she lived in and surrounded herself with - as well as her "fantasy world" of her "farm". Her little opera house tucked behind Le Petit Trianon is a jewelbox of a theater and also amazing.

To go to Chateau du Versailles one day and then the next go to La Conciergerie, where she spent her last days before going to the guillotine - gives you a very good idea of how very far she fell - and the tragedy of her life.

They have re-created her little cell (not in the same location in the Concergerie however as the original) with trappings that show what her last days were like - including some very poignant little things tied to her - including a little porcelain pitcher that it is said the jailer's daughter (who was sympathetic to her) gave her water in. Really fascinating!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,623 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Marie Antoinette attractions?

In addition to Versailles and the Conciergerie, other sites pertaining to Marie-Antoinette are:

- The chapelle expiatoire en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapelle_expiatoire

- The Basilica of Saint-Denis

And visit the French Revolution section of the Carnavalet Museum.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,189 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marie Antoinette attractions?

Have a look at

marieantoinettesparis.com/mariebookpage.php

You may want to consider visits to Chapelle Expiatoire and Basilique Saint-Denis.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,623 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Marie Antoinette attractions?

As far as "the top interesting or fun attractions" go, I would like to point out that apart from Versailles, the other attractions would qualify as "interesting" but definitely not "fun" since they're more about the trial, execution and death of Marie-Antoinette than about her life.

Sligo, IRE
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Marie Antoinette attractions?

Thanks for all the informative replies, I'll definitely try and get to Versailles at some point now. Also I didn't know they had any of her things in the Louvre, I must have totally bypassed them during my last visit - probably too preoccupied with getting a glimpse at infamously disappointing Mona Lisa! :P Will definitely check it out this time round though!

Anyone know if the exhibition on her in the Grand Palais is still open and if it's worth a visit? :)

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marie Antoinette attractions?

I think for your purpose it's really important to get out to Basilica Saint-Denis, her "last" resting place. Her and Louis's tombs have their statues on top. They seem to be authentic in size, so you'd get the best impression of her actual size on this earth (and, IMO, her homeliness - no Kirsten Dunst - but I digress). There are quite a few other Louises' and Henris' tombs, too. While you're there, try to figure out, or ask someone, the big secret of Basilica Saint-Denis. Clues are in the wording of this comment. ;-)

Take a jacket or sweater! The basilica is one of the coldest interior spaces I've ever been.

Edited: 21 February 2012, 01:28
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,753 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marie Antoinette attractions?

"Take a jacket or sweater! The basilica is one of the coldest interior spaces I've ever been."

Excellent advice! Last time I was there - on a chill day in January - it felt warmer outside than inside, probably because of the weak sunlight.

I, too, recommend a visit to the Chapelle Expiatoire.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marie Antoinette attractions?

"Last time I was there - on a chill day in January - it felt warmer outside than inside, probably because of the weak sunlight."

Also exactly my thought both times in the spring! (OT, thought about this aspect of Saint-Denis while visiting Chartres and Rouen, but I think they actually try to heat them somewhat. Sorry. Back to regular programming...)