We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Travel from Paris to Southampton Docks

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Train Travel from Paris to Southampton Docks

My husband and I will be holidaying in Paris in July 2012 and need to get to Southampton for cruise.We would like to travel by train. How long does it take? What route do we need to take? Should we travel day before ship leaves "just in case" there are delays?

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Travel from Paris to Southampton Docks

The only sensible route will be via London, involving a change of stations from St Pancras to Waterloo.

Paris to London on Eurostar about 2.5 hours, allow an hour to cross London, then plenty of trains to So'ton from there. You can book the through journey with Eurostar which usually saves a small amount of money. Book tickets 120 days in advance on eurostar.com for the cheapect fares.

Or you could fly with flybe to So'ton airport.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,186 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Travel from Paris to Southampton Docks

You can get ferries to Portsmouth from Le Havre (LD Lines - http://www.ldlines.co.uk/ ) good rail link to Le Havre from Paris, or from Caen(Ouistreham), Cherbourg & St Malo, (Brittany Ferries - http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ ) all of which have rail links to Paris, but with various times and 'speed'!

You can then take a train from Portsmouth to Southampton:

http://www.southernrailway.com/

That is the 'basics'. If you look at the resto fo the forum and ask, then others will fill you in with the real 'logistics' of train/getting from train to ferry etc) in France, I'm sure!

Edited: 22 February 2012, 01:48
Essex
Level Contributor
27,186 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Travel from Paris to Southampton Docks

Flying to Southampton might be your best bet though!

I would DEFINITELY consider getting there a day ahead, gives you a lot of 'contingency' time! Plenty to see in Southampton and it's environs if you end up with time to spare!

What would you do if you missed your cruise departure??

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Travel from Paris to Southampton Docks

If you definitely want to travel by train rather than fly, then, as railenthusiast says, you should take the Eurostar to London (St Pancras International); you will then need to cross London to Waterloo to get your train to Southampton.

Whilst the Eurostar almost always runs to time (recent exceptions have been due to snow, which should not be a factor in July!), you could encounter delays in crossing London (either by tube or taxi) and on the SouthWest trains service from Waterloo to Southampton.

For your own peace of mind, I would recommend travelling to Southampton the day before; there is plenty to do and see there and I'm sure you will sleep better knowing you are already there!

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Travel from Paris to Southampton Docks

I would also consider the ferry option. Brittany Ferries has comfortable overnight ferries with cabins from Caen/Ouistreham to Portsmouth. Daily dep. from Ouistreham at 22:00 or 23:00 arr. Portsmouth at 06:30. With this option you will get an almost full day in Paris before leaving, save a hotel night and arrive Southampton early morning in good time for your cruise. Admittedly slightly more cumbersome with 2 transfers instead of 1, but IMO a more relaxing way of travel.

brittany-ferries.co.uk/ferry-routes/ferries-…

brittany-ferries.co.uk/fleet/…normandie

6. Re: Train Travel from Paris to Southampton Docks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 03:41