We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using metro from CDG to Les Gobelins

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Using metro from CDG to Les Gobelins

We will be traveling to Paris (3 of us) and I was wondering if it is a good idea or not to take the metro from CDG to Les Gobelins metro stop. We will have three regular size luggage, two carry ons (all on rollers). Our flight arrives at 6:55 a.m. so I'm sure by the time we get through customs and pick up our luggage, it will be close to 8:00 a.m.

I guess I'm worried about transferring lines and if there will be steps or difficulty lugging the luggage around. I know we could take a taxi, but I'm worried about cost to go that far (and if you know how much this would be approximately, let me know). Also, I'm super nervous in traffic, so the metro sounds appealing to me. Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Roissy-en-France, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using metro from CDG to Les Gobelins

Welcome to the forum, Barto. The RER is the suburban rail line that services CDG to Paris. You switch to the Métro once you get within the city proper.

Thing is, with the RER and Métro stations there can be many stairs, and schlepping luggage up and down so many stairs is a daunting challenge for anyone just off an overnight flight, who may be suffering from jet lag.

If budget is a consideration, you might consider the Air France bus to Montparnasse, and a taxi from there. I think you may find the RER quite a challenge with the luggage you describe.

Mentioned in this post
Montparnasse
Montparnasse
1,094 Reviews
Paris, France
Roissy-en-France, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
France
France
Europe
New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using metro from CDG to Les Gobelins

Consider the RER/Metro only if you can easily manage all your bags and belongings on long walks, flights of stairs, escalators, etc.

For me, after an overnight flight, the RER/Metro is not the least bit appealing and a taxi is worth every extra €uro.

Air France bus for three plus taxi would not result in much savings, if any.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
9,186 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Using metro from CDG to Les Gobelins

It sounds like too much luggage for the RER/métro but it is also true that you'd be taking a taxi right during rush hour which could mean slow traffic and high costs (55 € to 75 €).

Other options (Roissybus or Air France coach + taxi) won't save you much money so I would go with a taxi unless you can downsize your luggage. In that case, I'd take RER B all the way to Denfert-Rochereau and walk to Gobelins from there.

Edited: 24 February 2012, 19:29
Mentioned in this post
RoissyBus
RoissyBus
91 Reviews
Paris, France
France
France
Europe
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,122 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using metro from CDG to Les Gobelins

maybe you are moving to France for the spring and summer or something and need large suitcases plus carry ons -- or have work materials in them -- or are bringing huge numbers of gifts for family because that is your cultural tradition

but if it isn't necessary to do any of the above, rethink your luggage -- a carry on roller board and a messenger bag ought to do it for a trip -- and if you must take more, a slightly larger checked piece and a messenger bag or tote ought to do it and with that you could do public transport -- two suitcases per person is just way too much

I have to carry some bulky medical stuff, I always have a least 2 pairs of shoes and my husband and I each travel with a computer and reader and I have a couple of cameras -- and still manage with a 22 inch rollerboard (sometimes a 24 inch checked bag instead) and a shoulder bag -- you'd be surprised at how much you don't really need

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using metro from CDG to Les Gobelins

Two of the bags will have all three of our luggage in them. The third bag is personals that I wouldn't put in regular luggage. We take two carry on bags because every trip I've been on overseas, our luggage was lost for 1-2 days. The first trip, we didn't take carry ons and had nothing for 2 days and had to go shopping to get essentials (only had clothes on back and absolutely nothing else). The second time we had the two carry ons which were a life saver. I know it seems like a lot of luggage, but there is no way to pare it down. We are traveling a total of 9 days. If it was a shorter trip, I would, of course, take less.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using metro from CDG to Les Gobelins

djkbooks, the OP is traveling at the height of rush hour. If a taxi were to be stuck on the Péripherique for any length of time, the fare could be a lot higher than the flat price of the AF bus.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
980 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using metro from CDG to Les Gobelins

Take RER B to Denfert-Rochereau (as said in post # 3) and then a taxi to your destination around Gobelins. But don't try to walk from D-R to Gobelins, it's much too far with luggage and after a long flight. RER+taxi will be quicker at this hour and more convenient... and relatively cheap (RER: 9.25 pp; taxi 10 euros)

Another alternative would be to take Roissy bus to Opera and then the Metro to Gobelins (direct on line 7).

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using metro from CDG to Les Gobelins

As if there weren't enough options being presented here, one might also consider taking the RER-B to the St-Michel/Notre Dame station and exiting to street level via "Sortie-5". Board a #47 bus (bus stop is directly there where you surface from the train station) and take it to the Les Gobelins stop. Cost is 9.25€ plus 1.80€ bus fare per person. Even at rush hour the bus portion will only take 7-10 minutes.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
980 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using metro from CDG to Les Gobelins

bartoscowabunga: at least, you can see that Gobelins isn't in the middle of nowhere in the bush, as you seemed to be afraid of, and that there are a lot of alternatives for going to this area :) (btw, I live there!)

Edited: 25 February 2012, 01:40
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
6,010 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using metro from CDG to Les Gobelins

"Another alternative would be to take Roissy bus to Opera and then the Metro to Gobelins (direct on line 7)."

On my last two visits to Paris, when I was staying very close to Gobelins Metro station, this was my chosen route. Gobelins Metro station may be exited via the escalator - look for the sign indicating this.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France