We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time needed to see Paris?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
15 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Time needed to see Paris?

I am planning to visit Paris (first time) in a few weeks time. I wanted inputs from this forum on whether three days is a good enough time to see the important sights in Paris. If i had a week, would it be better to see some other nearby cities or stay in Paris and soak it in slowly? Thanks in advance.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,857 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time needed to see Paris?

My shortest visit to Paris was for 9 days, I had been before many times, but had a friend with me who had never been.. we both agreed it was TOO short!

Yes,, you could cover the main sites at breakneck speed in three days, but it will mean running through museums , and rushing past monuments for photos,, and not spending time just soaking in what Paris really has to offer, which besides the sites ,history, food, and wine, is the spirit of the city itself. A rambling walk through a neighborhood on the way to a site( instead of taking the metro and just popping up and down near sites,, some are close that a walk is a better alternative) Browsing a street market, stopping at the bouquinistes that line the Seine, having a stupid long lunch just nursing a drink , some cheese and people watching from a cafe ..etc. Plus, its nice to fit a daytrip out of the city in,, Versailles comes to mind, but if you are a history buff then I really enjoyed my visit to St Denis, and I then there is a long long list of others, check out a few threads here, one of our regular posters has repeated posted some great links, with photos, look up French_Mystique's posts.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
382 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time needed to see Paris?

Forever in Paris would be too short! If you can stay a week rather than 3 days I don't think you'll regret it. It will give you time to pay more attention to the "culture" of the Parisians rather than see just the sites.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,111 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time needed to see Paris?

I first went to Paris when I was 21 for 5 days over Christmas. I've been back every few years for over 40 years and still see things/places I haven't seen before. I now stay 11 - 15 days. See what you can in Paris and save the places further out for subsequent trips. Remember 7 days becomes 5 whole days 'cause you can't count the day you arrive or the day you leave. Buy a "Lonely Planet" guide for Paris - a great guidebook.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time needed to see Paris?

I visit Paris every second year & I still don't know it !!

Whether you have 3 day or 7 its important to make the most from your visit & have a workable itinerary happening. Start to make a list what is important to you ..

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
745 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time needed to see Paris?

Paris is so much more than the sites listed in travel books. It is a feeling, but you have to stop running from place to place to really get it. If you don't, then you've seen a lot of cool buildings, but you haven't seen Paris.

North Caroiina
Level Contributor
994 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time needed to see Paris?

I spent seven days in Paris last June and wrung the days for everything they were worth.

Just got back from a five day visit a couple of days ago. During this most recent visit, we did not do anything that we did last June. Everything we did was new to us.

We left with another list of new things for next time.

Stay a week. Perhaps you can get out of Paris for a day trip to Versailles or another nearby city.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,441 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time needed to see Paris?

If you only have three days, you will simply have to accept that you will not be able to see everything.

In fact, you don't need to try. Paris is as much about the experience, about strolling round, finding a nice cafe to stop for a coffee or a slow lunch, watching the world go by.

That said, if you can give Paris a week, do it.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,142 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time needed to see Paris?

I think a week is just right for a first visit to Paris -- I would not spend less than 5 nights 4 full days.

If you were there a week then there are some obvious day trips to vary the scenery -- the three first trips IMHO are Chartres, Versailles and Giverny -- but there are literally dozens of wonderful trips easily made from Paris by public transport.

Brazil
Level Contributor
65 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Time needed to see Paris?

IMO five days is the minimum you can spend in Paris to learn a little about the city. For three days, the more intense they are, you may feel that something was missing.

Level Contributor
119 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Time needed to see Paris?

Two weeks in Paris is perfect. Paris needs to be taken slowly...it needs to soak in. It's not a place to rush through. Stay as long as you can.