We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Its not all about MUST DOs

Ireland
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Its not all about MUST DOs

HI

My BF and I are heading to Paris in April and I have been looking on forums for some advice. The thing is for us its not all about long queues to get into all the tourist attractions. Sure we both want to see some things but Im not a big into art etc. We just want to have a nice romantic 4 days relaxing enjoying Paris and its atmosphere. We will probably go to Disneyland 1 of the days as Iv never been to anything like that. Wed like to have nice dinners and wine and lovely days chilling out enjoying our days without a strick regime of tourist must dos.

So basically with all this in mind we would like any information with regard to best travel deals for the metro tickets etc, nice restaurants that wont cost an arm and a leg and things that really are worth doing and that you think we would enjoy. I dont want a lecture on the "Must Dos" Im fully aware of the beauty that Paris has to offer that we may not get to see and Im ok with that.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Paris
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
White Umbrella Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Retro Tour Paris
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
City Wonders
City Tours, Night Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Its not all about MUST DOs

You are free to do whatever you want in Paris and I completely agree that Paris should be enjoyed at your own rhythm rather than as a death march to the principal tourist sites.

I will therefore recommend (and be immediately contradicted) that for a more relaxing time, you might want to stay out of the tourist centre and in a more 'authentic' neighbourhood. No need to go to the outskirts of the city for this, but you will definitely have a more relaxing time in the arrondissements numbered from 9 to 20 -- not to mention saving a bit of money on both accommodations and food by not paying the tourist prices.

Essex
Level Contributor
29,050 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Its not all about MUST DOs

Well, not really sure how to answer that as how can I say what YOU two would enjoy??

Some guidebooks and general reading might help you out a lot here!

However, on a 'romantic' break in Paris some of the things I would do include

Taking a boat trip on the Seine

Walking around Montmartre, enjoying the 'vibe' and watching the street entertainers.

Having a picnic of wine, baguette and cheese somewhere down along the seine and then strolling along the quays.

Going dancing 'somewhere'

Climbing the towers of Notre Dame for the city views and the Chimera

I suppose they are all rather cliche things, but somehow, when you are doing them with a lovely 'other' then they seem fresh and new, and then in your wanderings, you just 'come across' places that become more significant for you!

Ireland
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Its not all about MUST DOs

Thanks kerouac2. Well we have actually booked our hotel(which wasnt very easy). We are staying in Hotel Diana which I think is near the Latin Quarter. I know that is one of the main tourists hubs but I really found it hard to know where to stay and this hotel got many glowing reviews.

I dont mind being around tourist per say its just that I feel that some people seem to have such a strict timetable in Paris and to me thats not a holiday. Plus as mentioned im not huge into museums and that.

If possible im looking for advice on what metro/train ticket that would be best to buy for the 4 days considering we want to travel to Disneyland one of the days and also will be travelling to and from the airport. Also I would love some suggestions on some good eateries, I am abit of a foodie and that is a part of Paris I am looking forward to but again I dont want to be going to overpriced places either.

Ireland
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Its not all about MUST DOs

Thanks a mill EssesWanderer, I totally agree with you it is hard for other people to know what we would enjoy. The reason I ask is that I am sure there are people that go to Paris with the same kinda thoughts.

Your suggestions are exactly the kind of things I am looking for. I just want to have a nice relaxing enjoyable time with my lovely BF and just enjoy the vibe and culture of the city without the madness of the "must do's".

North Caroiina
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Its not all about MUST DOs

My favorite overheard quote from our recent visit . . .

"Honey, we've got to get moving [to the next tourist site] if we want to get a decent return on our investment."

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,409 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Its not all about MUST DOs

Most of the regulars on the forum say that sitting in a cafe and just taking it all in is the number one MUST DO.

The number one romantic MUST DO is strolling. Walk anywhere, walk everywhere. You'll find yourselves, along the Seine, crossing bridges, poking into shops full of treasures you love, tip toeing through tulips, falling upon unexpected, breathtaking vistas and uncovering THE perfect meal for the moment.

Essex
Level Contributor
29,050 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Its not all about MUST DOs

You do have to queue for the Notre Dame Towers (there is no alternative, unless you get there early and be first in the queue - not quite the 'thing' for a lovers break though!!), but IMO it is worth it. Also, IMO worth it, despite the queue (although you can now buy advance tickets on-line if it appeals) is the Eiffel Tower.

It is nice when you go 'somewhere' to have a few specific things that you want to do. However, I am also not one for rushing around, I like to have perhaps ONE major thing a day that I have decided to do, and then just 'wander' and see where the fancy takes me!

The Buses of Paris are very good, once you have understood the maps and how they work - you get to see Paris as you travel along, better than being down in the Metro IMO! Walking is great but after a day of it, it is a relief to hop on some form of Public Transport or another to get back to your 'pad'!

Mind you, k2 has some photos of some fab looking Metro Stations that are pretty romantic in themselves!

Ireland
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Its not all about MUST DOs

FrankMcB that made me laugh!!!!

I dont understand people like that, how is that an enjoyable holiday!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
517 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Its not all about MUST DOs

I'd suggest you have a look at guide books outside the big ones such as Lonely Planet, Fodor's, Rough Guide and the like. For example, I discovered the (free) guides Bookboon last summer for a 4-week hopping trip between all the Scandinavian and Baltic capitals, they proved very useful. I like the way they concentrate on sight circuits, dropping everything else aside.

The one for Paris is at bookboon.com/fr/…paris-english (you can enter anything you want in the Newsletter subscription box). They suggest five different circuits for Paris, organized by areas and mixing "usual suspects" with lesser known sights, such as Arenes de Lutece or Bourse du Commerce.

Another great, off the beaten track option could be a circuit among Parisian churches, such as …about.com/od/parismonuments/tp/Paris-Cathed…

I also join Kerouac in suggesting you go for a non-center based hotel: there are tremendous areas to stay in the 10th or 18th in particular.

Tom

10. Re: Its not all about MUST DOs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 March 2012, 16:07