We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Level Contributor
118 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic

Hi all,

Just the heads up on a scam. In the last 2 days in paris i have seen 2 different couples trying the same scam. Usually in a male/female duo. One of them pretends they have just found a gold ring on the footpath near where you are and will approach you to see if you have lost it. Not sure what happens from there as both times i ignored the approach. But i saw them target others. The 2 i saw operating at pont Royal near Lourve where very shifty. The guy approached me i ignored him then saw him hook up with this woman then they seperated and she tried the same gold ring trick with a man sitting on a bench and was relentless until he got up and walked off. i saw the same thing today near the Musee de orsay. Different individuals but again a male/female operating together.

Just wanted to make everyone aware to ignore these duos as they are surely out to distract you and probably rob you and are just circulating at the major sites.

Palais Garnier - Opera National de Paris
Architectural Buildings, Operas, Theatres
Philharmonie de Paris
Symphonies, Concerts, Speciality Museums, Operas
Maison de la Radio (Radio France)
Performances, Concerts, Operas
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scammers

gypsygirl - if you search "ring scam" here, you'll find many hundreds of threads on this.

The person pretends to find the ring, asks the person if it's theirs, shows them the "gold" ring (fakes mass marketed with hallmarks of 18K on them), then says they can't keep it for whatever reason so gives it to the person. Then asks the person for 20 euros or whatever it is, for something to eat, and as compensation for the ring.

It would only work on some foolish person who was feeling particularly greedy that they would be getting a gold ring for just 20 euros or whatever the "donation" is.

You did the right thing in ignoring and walking on. There are hundreds (or more) of these people trying the ring scam. It's almost comical - particularly as many have said here - how could they find the ring of someone approaching them - shouldn't it be someone who has already walked past them?

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,471 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scammers

They don't rob you. They play in one's greed.

They claim to have found the ring, then demonstrate that it is too small/big for them. They want you to have it.

Those who accept the "gift" are then asked for a small cash "thank you".

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,471 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scammers

pmmmcTO - jinx on the "greey"

Started my post before yours was up.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
528 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scammers

experienced the same scam in Istanbul. Seems to be a worldwide phenomenon.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: scammers

Ah, so nice to know that ring season is starting again. When the weather is really cold, nobody finds any rings because nobody will stop to discuss their great value. Spring is in the air.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
517 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: scammers

Mhhh, too bad, I now live in a country where we do not have this charming one any longer (the biggest one here is "hey, you recognize me? I'm from your hotel... look, I forgot the money to do the vegetable shopping, can you lend me some, it will be substracted from your note?")

Level Contributor
29,452 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: scammers

Spring time, is the only pretty Ring Time - with a hey and a ho and a hey nonny nonny no!!

8. Re: scammers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 12:17
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor