We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris daily budget for single traveller in May 2012?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Paris daily budget for single traveller in May 2012?

I understand there's a range depending on what you're planning to do but i'm planning on exchanging some euros now that the currency is low on the exchange rate and wasn't sure how much cash to bring.

For things like hotels and larger purchases I'll pay by credit card but everything else (food, metro, bus to/from airport, souvenirs, museums, Versailles) will be paid in cash.

Is anyone able to give me an average daily budget for a single traveller in Paris in May 2012? Thanks!

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris daily budget for single traveller in May 2012?

I would get Paris Museum Pass and budget 100 euro per day for food and transport.

Puget Sound
Level Contributor
908 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris daily budget for single traveller in May 2012?

I travel solo, stay in an apartment where I do my own cooking, and probably spend an average of 40-50 euros per day. Obviously, the more restaurant tabs you pick up, the more expensive the trip can become -- but I tend to buy high-end food and wine, so the difference might not be too much.

Puget Sound
Level Contributor
908 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris daily budget for single traveller in May 2012?

One further thought -- be sure you check all the costs baked into exchanging currencies at home rather then in Paris. I have found that the at-home swaps are always the most expensive, so I typically get just enough currency to cover my first day, and then use ATM's. Many banks have alliances with their counterparts in Europe that allow you to swap at or near the "official" exchange rate without any added fees.

North Caroiina
Level Contributor
994 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris daily budget for single traveller in May 2012?

I kept track of my family's expenses during our trip last June. We averaged about $63 (US) or 44-45 Euro per person per day for ground transportation, food, and admissions. This included RER to and from CDG, metro, RER to Versailles, a Paris Musuem Pass, and a mix of food from groceries to sit down meals.

We stayed in an apartment which cut down on eating out.

While this info might help you budget, I don't know that you need to (or should) bring a lot of cash. Credit cards are readily accepted and ATMs are straightforward. You should just check to make sure that you are not getting hosed on fees.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris daily budget for single traveller in May 2012?

Yeah, I wanted to use as much cash as possible except for larger purchases such as luxury handbags because my credit card charges an extra 2% on top of whatever currency rate they use to convert. Using ATM's to withdraw cash in Paris will also incur an additional 2.75% (yes i know my bank sucks). I'm not sure what the currency exchange will be in May so that's why I wanted to buy euro now while it's still low and I get to save on the 2% as well.

The hotel is all booked so it looks like i'll be eating out every single day unless i decide to skip a meal. I guess i'm looking at 60-80 euro a day then...

Thank you all!

Level Contributor
100 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris daily budget for single traveller in May 2012?

We are going to Paris for 4 nights in June and I am working on my research also. You can avoid the foreign transaction from Capital One credit cards www.capitalone.com/creditcards/… . That's the only credit card I use for my travel. Fidelity Cash Management account (checking with interest) has no ATM fee anywhere in the world (no minimum balance) …fidelity.com/products/…checking_frame.shtml. It is extremely convenience.

Edited: 16 March 2012, 17:53
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,841 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris daily budget for single traveller in May 2012?

I find I eat cheaper on solo trips,, less sit down meals ,, more street food or snacks,, and lot less wine!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,751 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris daily budget for single traveller in May 2012?

If you purchase Euros in Canada you'll pay a lot more than 2-2.75% for the exchange. I usually just get enough cash at an ATM at the airport to last 2-3 days. I wouldn't worry about purchasing any Euros before you arrive.

I'm travelling to paris solo in May, and will try to adhere to around 50-75 euros per day for my budget for food, sights & transportation. I'm sure some days will be more and some may be less. Since I'm renting an apartment, I'll be eatng some meals there. I've been to Paris several times before and I plan to explore several neighborhoods so will probably not spend much money on seeing sights. Though I may spend some money shopping which would be in addition to the 50-75 euros.

Anyway - that's my plan but who knows what will really happen......

Little Rock
Level Contributor
609 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris daily budget for single traveller in May 2012?

My budget was 60 euros a day and I just didn't spend that much ... my biggest espense was the ND card and one expensive dinner. I bought croissants and tea from Carrefour and that was my daily breakfast. One day I bought mini croissants from Picard but I ate almost ALL of them ... I'd snack on fruit from vendors, ate lunch and had a few dinner reservations. I bought a bottle of wine and had that at the apartment and stopped buying wine with dinner. And a few nights I bought food at the market street and that lasted for several days. The joys of renting an apartment!!

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris daily budget for single traveller in May 2012?

FrankMcB and F1race girl, how often did you eat out? We are doing the apartment and self catering thing but still wanted to have some Parisian dinning experiences. There are three of us in our family and I was told to budget $150-$200 per day??? I like your budgets better.