We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nice country town within 2 hours of paris

co. donegal
Level Contributor
334 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
nice country town within 2 hours of paris

hi there looking into takin a couple of days in france we love the countryside im a farmer and would love to spend a few days in a nice rural town any ideas anyone have been to paris a few times and like it well but want more rural experience

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,462 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nice country town within 2 hours of paris

lots and lots of farming all across France -- what do you grow? (we might be able to point you toward a similar region) -- any interests? Beef, dairy, vegetables, sugar beets....

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nice country town within 2 hours of paris

Compiegne, Chalons en Marne, Auxerre are all pretty nice towns, but they are still towns, you would need a car to see the countryside. If you have a car I might recommend the Barbizon/Fontainbleau area where there is forest and nice farmland

To the north it is mostly industrial scale arable farming, in the west towards Normandy you can find much cattle and to the east you have the Champagne growing region. To the south it is urban sprawl for a long way but it eventually gives way to forest and mixed farmland.

MD
Level Contributor
710 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nice country town within 2 hours of paris

Normandy has a lot of agricultural areas, lots of dairy and field crops.

Off the top of my head, I can think of two on-farm B&Bs we stayed at in Lower Normandy. The hosts are nice people--is it a problem if they don't speak English?

La Grimmonniere. is near Ferriere-au-Doyen and Le Gros Chene is near Mortagne-au-Perche. You can find info about each one on www.gites-de-france.com

I'd say Mortagne is a nicer town than Ferriere, if that makes a difference.

L'Aigle is not too far from both towns and it has a large street market on Tuesday mornings, as well as a livestock market the same morning. We've been to the general market and never noticed the livestock market, so it must be held at another location (and I believe it has different hours). If you decide on visiting, it's probably a good idea to get info in advance from the tourist office at l'Aigle.

4. Re: nice country town within 2 hours of paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 06:41