We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discover walks-Paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cummins, South...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Discover walks-Paris

I read in the brochure that these are free but are supported by tipping.

Can someone recommend how much we should tip if we went on one of these tours? I will be travelling with my husband, brother and sister-in-law and we will be in Paris for 2 weeks from Easter Sunday.

NZ
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Discover walks-Paris

During Jan I gave my guide E10 (solo Traveller) which is considerably less than a 'pay for' tour would be,however I based my sum on a comparison with a similar trip I did the year before and considered I did not get as much value for money. The explanations and historical facts were not as well presented and he skipped over places that were on the way that were interesting. We left late - and finished far earlier than the brochure indicated. (and it was a group of 5 so should not have been difficult to keep on track). In essence - I suppose 'you get what you pay for'.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
259 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Discover walks-Paris

I've taken several of these walks and the tipping amount is commensurate with the guide and the tour itself. We have tipped anywhere from 5 to 13 euros per person depending on how good the tour was. We had one that was absolutely horrible but then we had one that was the highlight of our trip!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Discover walks-Paris

IMO, arrive at the meeting point a little early and try to chat with the guide before the tour starts. If the person doesn't seem knowledgeable or personable, walk away. Have a contingency plan if you decide not to go on the tour.

Little Rock
Level Contributor
609 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Discover walks-Paris

I took 3 DiscoverWalks tours during my last visit to Paris. This was my first time taking the walking tours. Someone on TA who posts all the time (I think Denise) suggested it. Great idea too.

(1) Latin Quarter ... tour guide Kevi. He was fun and witty. He gave good explanations regarding the varies buildings and time frame on when buildings were built and the universities in the area. I enjoyed him and tipped 10euro.

(2) Montmarte ... tour guide Philippe. He was the BEST. This was definitely his stomping ground and our 1.5 hour tour turned into a 2 hours tour. I took the best pictures and thoroughly enjoyed myself and fell in love with the 18e. I would have gladly tipped him 20euro but all I had on me was 10euro.

(3) Marais ... again tour guide Philippe. He was again good but I just wasn't feeling this tour and got so distracted taking pictures that I lost the group. No tip was given b/c I never saw the group again.

Overall, I plan to take several more tours when I return. I say tip what you feel is right. Looking at what others were giving, It looked like most gave 10euro per person. The great thing about the tours, is that you can leave any time. Of course, I would suggest tipping and then leaving.

5. Re: Discover walks-Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2013, 09:26