We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover in Paris. Need some suggestions.

Show Low, Arizona...
7 posts
Save Topic
Layover in Paris. Need some suggestions.

If I choose a flight that arrives in Paris at 9:55 pm and the next flight doesn't go out until 1:40 pm the next day...what is there to do in Paris at night that would be safe for two single women to do? Like, if you take the metro from the airport around Paris at night would it be fabulous to the town/city by the night lights? Or would it be better to stay at the airport till dawn and then head out so see some of Paris? How far is it from the airport to the Eiffel Tower? Could we see it and be able to get back to the airport by noon? Would appreciate any comments. wdsears@frontiernet.net

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,470 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Layover in Paris. Need some suggestions.

the Metro stops running at about midnight -- so you might have time to get off the plane, through customs (if applicable) and baggage claim -- but you couldn't get *back* to the airport via train, and the night fares for taxis are higher than in the daytime.

If your next-day flight is to the US, you need to be in the check-in line 3 hours before departure - US-bound security is very time-consuming, so you'll need to be at the airport by 10h30ish, and the trip to/from Paris takes about an hour (sometimes less if you're lucky, but it's hard to be lucky when you've got a deadline!) so you need to be planning to leave Paris by 9h30 -- just about the time most things are opening.

The Tower lights make their last flash at about 1 AM, IIRC (I'll stand corrected if that's wrong) -- and most restaurants are closed up tight by midnight, especially on a weeknight.

Edited: 21 March 2012, 08:12
Show Low, Arizona...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Layover in Paris. Need some suggestions.

Excellent suggestions and I thank you. I didn't realize it was mandatory to be at the airport 3 hours prior to flights....that's very good to know, I thought it was just 2....so will definitely keep that in mind. So once the tower lights finish at 1, then to see anything else in Paris is about nil, except for maybe the downtown lights (but then I guess we'd be seeing the "nightlife")......thanks for the feed back.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,470 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Layover in Paris. Need some suggestions.

there is no downtown in Paris like in American cities -- so the "downtown lights" are the streetlights in the retail districts and residential areas in the center of the city.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,189 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Layover in Paris. Need some suggestions.

You might be able to catch the midnight or (if not) 1AM sparkling of the Eiffel Tower before the lights go out.

Note that the lights on all the monuments go off around midnight (Notre Dame, Opera, Arc de Triomphe, etc.).

Still, many areas are just beautiful lit by street lamps.

Google for restaurants open late or all night (there are quite a few).

Keep in mind that once the metro and buses stop running, you'll be on foot or relying on taxis.

You'd have to rely on a taxi if you stay at/near the airport.

Show Low, Arizona...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Layover in Paris. Need some suggestions.

So does anyone have a suggestion for a hotel in the $100 range that is close to the airport?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Layover in Paris. Need some suggestions.

Another alternative would be to find a hotel in the city not far from the Eiffel Tower. You could zoom there with your bags, check in and hopefully catch the last illumination. Then just walk around a bit, maybe find a late night cafe then off to bed.

I love to wake early in the morning and walk around as well. Paris is wonderful in the early morning, just as the sun comes up. The city is slow to awake and it's fun to see that side of the city. You will most likely be able to find an early morning cafe for a coffee and pastry then back to the hotel to collect your bags and off to the airport.

I would take a taxi from the airport and then if you are running late he could drive by so you could see the ET. You could easily take the RER back if you don't have too much luggage.

Show Low, Arizona...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Layover in Paris. Need some suggestions.

Does anyone know how much a taxi is from the ET to the airport?

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,189 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Layover in Paris. Need some suggestions.

Beware of "close to the airport" as opposed to within the airport. Hotels within the airport are very convenient. If you have to rely on shuttle service from a hotel "close to", be advised that they are not nearly as convenient as you would presume. You have to allow a lot of extra time for a shuttle. On busy days, one after another could be full.

The better bet would be to book a hotel close to the Eiffel Tower and return to CDG by RER. That way, you could put the taxi fare toward the hotel room.

There are quite a few hotels in the 100 EURO range within a ten minute walk of the Eiffel Tower, but they do book up far ahead.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
185 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Layover in Paris. Need some suggestions.

I am in a similar situation as I have an overnight layover but I arrive early afternoon and leave the next day early afternoon. The hotel I am staying at is near the Eiffel Tower- Hotel De la Paix Eiffel Tower. A single room was 130 euros.

I have a couple of things planned for the evening so I probably won't eat until late. I found two restaurants that stay open late around the Louvre area. La Poule au Pot is open until 5am and Le grand colbert is open until 1am. I read there are more that are open late around the theatre district.

10. Re: Layover in Paris. Need some suggestions.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 13:17