We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only if you've really seen everything

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Only if you've really seen everything

The other day I finally saw a Parisian park that I had never heard of and which has been in decline for more than 100 years. In fact, it was even closed for big chunks of time, but it was finally taken over by the city of Paris in 2003 and cleaned up just a tiny bit. The result of this is to allow us to see the ruins.

If you are really tired of every imaginable sight in the city again and again, there's nothing stopping you from checking it out: anyportinastorm.proboards.com/index.cgi…

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only if you've really seen everything

That is glorious - thank you! I completely agree with bixaorellana's comments, too - the sense of romantic abandonment is beautiful.

Parts of it remind me of the VDNKh exhibition grounds in Moscow - the faded and sometimes crumbling pavilions, the parkland verging on wilderness, the loveliness of a place like that.

Thanks again. It's been added to my "want to see" list, preferably before it's restored too much. Although it looks like that might be a little while coming...

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,620 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Only if you've really seen everything

I love this place! I discovered this Jardin d'Agronomie Tropicale last September by accident (and made my own little photo report with my cell phone) as I was walking from the Bois de Vincennes to my home and it was such an emotional shock.

The thing is I walked into the park without having ever heard of it and without reading the signs so when I stumbled upon these weird exotic statues and constructions in the wood it felt as if I had landed on another planet. It was one of the most fascinating things I had ever seen. I felt like an explorer in a strange land! :)

When I got home I did some online research and it became much clearer: english.rfi.fr/france/20110216-paris-s-forgo…

ireland
Level Contributor
975 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Only if you've really seen everything

WOW, beautiful.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Only if you've really seen everything

That's an excellent link, Mrs French Mystique. I must immediately run and add it to my report. Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Only if you've really seen everything

Kerouac, thanks for taking the time to post another great photo essay.

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Only if you've really seen everything

That's an interesting article, Mrs FM. I think that k2's photos really capture the sad and poignant loveliness of a place such as this - with the history that it has.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,454 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Only if you've really seen everything

Paris is full of Easter Eggs. Fascinating piece.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,151 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Only if you've really seen everything

If you won't mind, kerouac, I'm going to be adding on to your report tomorrow with some photos the Mrs.and I took on different occasions of the Jardin. I'm also going to include some nearby and interesting places visitors to the park can enjoy which would complete a day spent exploring off the beaten path.

Palm Beach Gardens...
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Only if you've really seen everything

Fascinating information and photos. Well done

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Only if you've really seen everything

VERY interesting and lovely place. Thanks for posting it.