We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving this Friday!

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving this Friday!

Would much appreciate any comments on our plan....thanks!

Friday 3/30 Depart US

Sat 3/31 Arrive

Paris Greeter, 1:30 Montparnasse quater

Sainte-Chapelle

Notre-Dame

Sun 4/1

Day trip to Versailles

Evening in Montmartre / Sacre-Coeur

Monday 4/2

Arc de Triomphe

Champs Elysees

Louvre Museum

Hoping to do one of the guided tours in English, 11-12:30 or 2-3:30

Wine tasting 5pm-7pm

Tuesday 4/3

Musee Rodin

Musee d’Orsay

Rue Cler

Eiffel Tower

Wed 4/4

Depart for the US

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
734 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving this Friday!

Very do-able schedule! It gives you a plan, but you still have some time to improvise. 12 days to go for us!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
383 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving this Friday!

Have a great time - both of you! I notice Anymvand is from NYC - I went last October to NYC - wonderful place with great people - we felt so welcome 

Going to Paris this April - first visit - can't wait.

Puget Sound
Level Contributor
908 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving this Friday!

Wow -- tight schedule, particularly with jet lag thrown in. As a general comment, I think you're too heavily weighted to the obvious, and in some cases less exciting venues of Paris. So here are a few suggested adds/deletes:

> Skip Versailles this time around. You'll be back, and Paris alone easily fills a month for many of us.

> Skip the Champs. There's less Paris here than anywhere else in Paris.

> Rue Cler is only one of several "market streets" in the city. Though much written-about in Rick Steve's books, I believe you would find that Rue Mouffetard in the 5th District, or Rue Montorgueil in the 2nd are much better expressions of this form of French culture.

Spend more time walking the area near the river in the 5th and 6th Districts. The area bounded by the river on the north, Blvd. St. Germain on the south, Rue Bonaparte on rhe west, and Blvd. St. Michel on the east is a great area to just stroll, eat, and enjoy the history/culture.

NYC
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving this Friday!

Thank you all for the comments!

@groov - So glad you had a great time in NYC!

@ travelproponent - Thank you for the suggestions...will definitely change up Rue Cler with Rue Mouffetard or Rue Montorgueil. May also skip the Champs. We do want to experience 'local' culture not just tourist spots - and this may be our first but not last trip to Paris :)

Anything else?

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving this Friday!

Have a great trip. We leave on August 8. So much still to plan, but I wish I were there now.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
820 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving this Friday!

If you decide to skip Versailles this trip, you might want to go to the market at the Bastille Sun morning. It's one of the larger markets in Paris and is only open on Thurs and Sun mornings until around 1p. It is full of food, jewelry, clothes, etc. You can buy food for a picnic and head into the Marais to the Place des Vosges(a very beautiful park). Then, head away from the park on rue Francs des Bourgeois for a stroll through le Marais. Make sure you see the rue des Rosiers which was the heart of the old Jewish neighborhood. It runs parallel to francs des bourgeois and rue de Rivoli.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
734 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving this Friday!

We went to Versailles on our first trip and loved it. I would have really felt like I missed something if I did not go there. We are lucky that we get to go back this year, but you never know what will happen and I will always have my memories of Versailles.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,603 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leaving this Friday!

Versailles is amazing, no question but I tend to agree you may want to skip it in order to see everything else in your itinerary and still allow for a bit of breathing room. If you decide to keep it in the itinerary I would prioritize your other plans to ensure you see your absolute must sees.

Lastly, I wouldn't recommend going to Saint Chappelle & Notre Dame on your first day. Lines are very long for St Chappelle and for the towers of ND (if you intend to climb up that is). ALthough the adrenaline will likely kick in when you arrive, you should account for some tiredness and jet lag.

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leaving this Friday!

I would also recommend skipping Versailles. I think once you get to Paris, you're going to find you want to spend more time there than spend an entire day away from the city. I like Versailles, but I saved it for my second trip when I made sure I had more days in Paris.

I also agree with the above. Lines for Saint Chappelle and Notre Dame towers are long and the last thing I'd want to do while under the influence of jet lag is stand in line.

10. Re: Leaving this Friday!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 11:16