We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about transportation

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
653 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about transportation

We are thinking about flying to Paris from London and taking Eurostar back in the same day. Is there good public transportation crom the airport to the area of the Eiffel Tower and the Louve? Is there a plac to store our luggage in that area? We will have carryon suitcases, no large ones. Also is it easy to get from that area to the Eurostar station? Thank you for your help.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,758 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about transportation

Actually, when you factor in travel time to the airport, check in, time to clear security, etc. It would probably be just as fast and more convenient to just take the Eurostar in both directions.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,052 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about transportation

Agree it would be far more convenient to take the train both ways. There are luggage storage facilities at Gare du Nord.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,100 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about transportation

not understanding why you need to have luggage with you all day if you are coming from,and going back to, London..?

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
653 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about transportation

We are coming from the USA that morning and thinking of going on to Paris for the day. That is why we have our luggage.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,800 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about transportation

you are flying overnight from the US and think a day trip to Paris on jet lag day is a good idea -- with luggage? definitely take the Eurostar both ways and leave the luggage at Gard du Nord (leave time to go through the line to get it back before the train)

but you are likely to remember Paris as a place of misery doing that to yourself

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,052 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about transportation

I'm another who would discourage you from taking a day trip to Paris after an overnight flight. Even if you manage some sleep on the plane, jet lag will catch up with you at some point and unexpectedly. Personally, I would never want to be that far from where I'm spending the first night, because you'd want to go there forthwith when your legs suddenly turn to noodles.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about transportation

I would be miserable by the time I arrived in Paris let alone how you'll feel hauling your luggage around or stressing about where to store it and the timing of picking it back up before your train. Eurostar round trip is going to be faster (it could take 1 hour or more to get from cdg into city center) and easier so I would settle in at your hotel or apt in London and pick another day for Paris.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,765 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about transportation

seriously this is possibly the worst plan I have read on here for awhile. it will guarantee you end up hating Paris, if that is your purpose then go for it,, i wouldn't do it if you paid me.

Why not just enjoy a daytrip to Paris after a few days in London?

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
653 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about transportation

We have decided to do a day trip to Paris on our second day in London. I know a lot of people groan when they hear me do these whirlwind tours, but they do work out fine if you are disciplined and have a concrete plan and schedule. For some people, they do not like that, but we manage. My kids did a 12 hour flight to Hawaii to spend 4 nights there on 2 different islands. We went on a 3 week trip in September (2 nights Moorea, 2 nights Tahiti, 2 nights North Island-New Zealand, 5 nights-South Island-New Zealand, 3 nights in Sydney, Australia, 3 nights in Cairns, 2 nights in Melbourne, then 2 nights in Oahu, Hawaii, and 2 nights on an outer island..and we had a fantastic time.

On this trip, we booked Eurostar leaving at 8:20am and gets into Paris, I believe at 11:47am. We are taking the train home that leaves at 9 pm, which gives us almost 8 hours to spend in Paris. I think it will take about a half hour to take the Metro into the heart of Paris. We would like to take a Seine River cruise, which I believe leaves every half hour. We also want to take either a Paris sights tour which leaves at 2:45pm or the hop on hop off bus. The tour lasts 1hr 45 minutes. We want to go in the Notre Dame and see the inside. We want to see the Eiffel Tower. If we don't go to the top of it, it is fine. We realize we are time restricted. We want to see the Arc de Trimphe and walk along the Champs Elysees. We also want to spend about an hour to an hour and a half in the Louvre. Whatever else, we happen to do is a plus. We also want to have a meal somewhere, but if we can only grab a quick bite that if fine. I just need some help to work out the details so I can plan a schedule. We are doing it because this is the last trip with my college age kids. My son wanted to go to London and my daughter wanted to spend a day in Paris. So we are trying to achieve the goal for both kids. What I need is to see the location of everything and how to set everything up so we do everything in a sequence that does not involve backtracking or trying to figure out how to get to each point. I hope this clears up some questions.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,452 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about transportation

There is a boat company that does tours off of the same little island that Notre Dame is on, So maybe go there first (easy metro from Gare du Nord) and then head to the Louvre. The Louvre is about a kilometer and a half away from that -- there's a bus that goes straight from Notre Dame to the Louvre. Use the Carousel entrance to the Louvre to avoid the very long lines at the pyramid entrance. Maybe then take a bus or metro to the Champs Elysee and walk up to the Arc de Triomphe (to save time) or just take a leisurely stroll from the Louvre (about 4km). From there you can get the metro to the Eiffel tower (but if you take the seine cruise, you will see the Eiffel Tower from the boat).

I have heard the hop on-hop off tours are very very slow in the summer, and have seen some pretty horrible reviews of them on trip advisor, so I opted not to use them. But you should check the reviews for yourself and make up your own mind.

Edited: 26 March 2012, 21:02