We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What should we wear for our trip to Paris in July 2012?

Colorado Springs, CO
2 posts
Save Topic
What should we wear for our trip to Paris in July 2012?

I know we shouldn't take white tennis shoes and flip-flops. But I need advice what to wear so we don't stand out too much as tourists.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Paris
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
White Umbrella Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Retro Tour Paris
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
City Wonders
City Tours, Night Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Chicago
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What should we wear for our trip to Paris in July 2012?

Sorry, but no way will you fool anyone that you are not a tourist... even if you leave your white shoes at home. And do you really care, cause no one else does. Wear what you are comfortable in.

S

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
820 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What should we wear for our trip to Paris in July 2012?

You will be walking more than you ever imagined, so just make sure you have comfortable shoes. The weather in Paris is fickle, so be prepared for anything. Take layers and a waterproof jacket. Last July it was in the 60's and overcast. It's unusual, but possible.

I wear capris, leggings, skirts or sundresses in the summer. I think shorts are ok as long as they're not too short. I try to dress the same as I would in any big city... casual, comfortable and not too shabby.

Edited: 26 March 2012, 02:03
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,400 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What should we wear for our trip to Paris in July 2012?

What Planejane says exactly,, casual and comfy, not shabby. What you would wear on any holiday to any city, so while flip flops are fine,, locals do wear them, locals generally do not spend 8-10 hours walking about and sightseeing daily, so comfy shoes are the only "must" ,, if for you that is runners, then wear runners.

I prefer sundresses, skirts and capris if it is hot to shorts for city holidays, but thats personal taste.

I do try and avoid white bottoms ,, sitting on benchs and low wall, metro seats etc,,can make them grubby in one day, and I like bottoms I can wear at least 2-3 times( I pack light) .

I also bring a small travel umbrella , I don't do hats, and it can rain in the summer ,, hard rain too( but usually of short duration, I have seen it pouring, then 1/2 hr later sunny) .

Always bring a sweater or warm layer, for me since I pack light , I usaully wear my warm layer on the plane over, windbreaker or similar and sweater , long pants( I don't bring jeans as they are heavy to pack and impossible to wash , but cotton slacks of some sort and often plain black yoga pants( comfy and they wash in sink, plus with decent top they can pass as normal black slacks, and don't wrinkle)

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What should we wear for our trip to Paris in July 2012?

Concentrate on what you want to see, what you want to do while in Paris. No one cares what you wear and in July you will see some people wearing white tennis shoes and shorts. When you go to the typical tourist sights you will be branded a tourist as residents don't generally go to them. What is wrong with looking like a tourist. You are a tourist. Enjoy.

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What should we wear for our trip to Paris in July 2012?

While no one may care what I am wearing, I DO care and like to somewhat fit in when I am away from home. Someone said in another post it's a little like being the new girl in school...everyone usually likes to fit in. I know I'm going to look like a tourist, but I at least want to look like a presentable tourist.

But comfort IS important, so let that be your guide. The most impartant thing is to enjoy every minute of your stay in Paris.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What should we wear for our trip to Paris in July 2012?

You'll see anything and everything on your fellow tourists, including white tennis shoes and flip flops, at all the tourist sights and nearby shops, restaurants, etc., so it would be nearly impossible to stand out in any sort of casual attire in those environs.

New Delhi, India
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What should we wear for our trip to Paris in July 2012?

It's not a bad time. It might be hot, but then it won't be cold, and daylight hours are long.

Some shops and restaurants will be closed (due to many locals taking their holidays in August), but most will remain open.

And some Paris hotels offer reduced rates for second half of July and most of August.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What should we wear for our trip to Paris in July 2012?

I have to admit to wearing my "Fitflops" (the expensive UK version of flip flops - covered in black sequins) all over Paris and London last summer. They are the most comfortable shoes, and when my feet would get a bit achey from walking in my merrells, I would slip on my Fit Flops and be in heaven. I eventually ditched the merrells altogether after twisting my ankle on a cobblestone and I wore the Fit Flops exclusively for the last three days of my trip.

I didn't feel too shabby in them either, considering that my shoes were selling at Galleries Lafayette for E99. You can get them on amazon.com much cheaper (I think $30).

Obviously I wouldn't wear them to a nice dinner, but honestly, I don't think anyone really cares what is on your feet. Just get a cute manicure before you leave the states.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
189 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What should we wear for our trip to Paris in July 2012?

Cute and comfortable ! Chances are you will be walking ... A lot and so being comfortable is important but hey lookin' cute is up there too :)

I was in Paris in July last year and we had days where it was practically 90 and we got a bit of rain, not a lot. I brought with me a cute comfortable pair of sandles and a couple of pairs of flats for daytime. Make sure they are both broken in though! I brought with me one new pair and it wasn't ideally. A small umbrella as others have suggested would be useful too just incase. Also a couple of light weight sweaters would be good to for cooler early mornings and late nights.

Enjoy your trip!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What should we wear for our trip to Paris in July 2012?

This thread was started nearly a year ago, and gophered out just yesterday. The OP, who made only two posts, has likely been to Paris and back by now.