We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Day in Paris

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
308 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
First Day in Paris

So what should we do?

We arrive early in the day in mid-April, staying near the Eiffel Tower and just want to soak in the city?

Hop on-Hop off bus a good idea?

We're not to crazy about being herded on a Grayline type bus. So what's a good option?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Day in Paris

I personally like the HOHO bus for a first visit in any city and on a first day esp. if you are feeling a bit jetlagged. It will give you an overview of Paris, you can get an idea of the general layout of the city and it's lowkey esp. if you just stay on board for one full cycle. However the best part of the bus is sitting on the top so that is weather dependent.

Another thing I've done on the first day is take the boat ride on the Seine. Again I just try to push myself as much as possible that first day until the evening when I feel I can go to bed.

One of my best first days was walking around the city, having a late lunch then I went to a salon and got a massage and bath treatment. I could hardly make it back to my hotel then collapsed in bed at 7:30 pm, slept like a baby and was up early raring to go with no jetlag. But that's me -- love the pampering!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,039 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Day in Paris

Yes, the HOHO buses are a good way to get an introduction to the City.

Adjust yourself to the Paris pace of life too - when you stop for coffee, lunch or even just a glass of chilled rose, these are LEISURE activities - so relax, take your time, watch the world go by and just savour the unique atmosphere of being in Paris. I'm sure you will love it!

Edited: 28 March 2012, 14:54
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
215 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Day in Paris

My suggestion would be to buy a Batobus pass to have a river view of Paris. It's the same concept of a hoho bus, but it's a boat. Their website is http://batobus.com/english/index.htm.

My husband, the 5 yo daughter and I got the Batobus pass and it was lovely. We boarded close to the Louvre, got off at Eiffel Tower, went up and down the tower, then took it to Ile St Louis and back to the Eiffel Tower. For me it was better than the hoho because you have great views of some of the main sites.

Enjoy your trip!

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First Day in Paris

I've taken a Seine boat ride on my arrival day and I was sleeping half way through the trip.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Day in Paris

I try to walk as much as possible to get sunshine in and adjust to the new time.

A good walk would be towards the river, stopping at Pont Alexandre III, going to Place de la Concorde (a former execution site), through the Tuileries (notice how huge the Louvre is), then maybe walk through the islands in the evening, after dark to see how beautiful everything is at night - and take the metro back to the hotel.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,806 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Day in Paris

We stay closer to the river and usualy arrive by about 10:00 in the morning. If the weather is good we always take advantage and walk along the river for a while, then across to the Ile de la Cite and the Ile St Louis, with the intention of having either breakfast or lunch someplace in the Marais. Afterwards we walk back but via another route. It gets us back into the swing of Paris, and in early to mid-April, there are a lot of flowers blooming.

Pjk

7. Re: First Day in Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2013, 09:22