We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Footwear

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Footwear

Ive been reading some threads about shoes that people find comfortable for walking throughout Paris. One brand I read good things about was Naot. I went to Nordy's and tried on several styles and they were just not right for my feet. Quite by chance while in Marshall's I found several different styles of Born sandals. They feel like heaven! Does anyone have any feedback on this brand of shoes? Kind of a girlie question, but thanks!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,654 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Footwear

nancy - you beat me to it! I was thinking of posting about footwear too. I just returned 5 pairs of shoes to Zappos:)

I've had mixed results with any Born shoes I've owned. Had to ditch one pair in San Francisco as they just didn't work for all of the walking we did.

Am still on the hunt for the perfect stylish walking sandal....am sure it's out there somewhere.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,593 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Footwear

I am one for Naots,,but they aren't for everyone. I know Born and Eccos are always well recommended, but they are too heavy and wide for me usually, and Birkenstocks plain old hurt my feet, so really there is no one brand that makes everyone happy,, lots of trial and error. You are right to be looking now so you can break them in and make sure they are perfect for you.

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Footwear

Glad you mentioned stylish F1racegirl. I just can't bring myself to shuffle around Paris in a pair of clunky sandals. Anyone have any ideas for stylish walking sandals

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,445 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Footwear

I have bjorns that I love, and also some cute merrell sandals - although Merrell tend to run a bit wide. I just bought some adorable merrel luxe slides.

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Footwear

Since you are going to do ALOT of walking while you are in Paris, or anywhere else in France - PLEASE, just bring the same shoes that you find to be the most comfortable while you are at home, as opposed to trying to find something that is "stylish" , as new / un-tested shoes may ( ie. probably ) will not work for you, and that is just not whatyou want to deal with on your vacation.

Israel
Level Contributor
5,103 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Footwear

Naot makes many kinds of sandals, and they all fit very differently. You need to try on a number of pairs in order to find the kind that suits you. The 2 styles that fit me perfectly and are ideal for walking are: Ashley and Marissa.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,445 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Footwear

Well it's fine to buy cute shoes for a walking vacation, as long as you break them in and wear them around to be sure they're actually comfortable for full days on your feet.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,527 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Footwear

shoes that work for someone who walks maybe a mile a day and drives everywhere may be an unending nightmare when that same person does 10 miles on hard pavements in them

critical to get very well cushioned walking shoes -- and break them in -- doesn't hurt to carry gel inserts, particularly heels in the luggage also to add if necessary -- they are not easy to find in Paris

for me Merrells produce shoes and sandals that are perfect for my feet -- but different brands will work better for different folks

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Footwear

Wearing the shoes I always wear doesn't really work for me. I'm a So Cal beach girl and live in flip fops when I'm not working. Beachie flipflips just won't work for me in Paris. :-).

My thought is to bring a comfortable pair of walking sandals, a flat for evening with skirts or dresses, and yes a pair of flip flops because I am who I am. Lol

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,593 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Footwear

flip flops are good for hotel and apartment floors.. a break for your feet after a day in any other shoe ,, plus the hygeine factor or rooms for rent...( at home we normally go barefoot or in socks inside, but not on holidays)