We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why don't we have a Promenade Plantee appreciation thread?!

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Why don't we have a Promenade Plantee appreciation thread?!

I walked the stretch today from Gare de Lyon ending at Port de Vincennes, and I have to say, I loved it. Very novel idea, and nice to see Parisians using it - family time, lovers' time, joggers' time, all in all, amazing! Glad I "invested" time in walking the promenade.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why don't we have a Promenade Plantee appreciation thread?!

The promenade plantée is mentioned often here. I'm glad you had a good time along it.

NZ
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why don't we have a Promenade Plantee appreciation thread?!

As a visitor I found it a little offputting in the winter - more a spring/summer/autumn choice unless you are a fit jogger looking for exercise.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why don't we have a Promenade Plantee appreciation thread?!

One thing that bugs me is the media hype over the Manhattan "High Line" which is constantly touted as a new, innovative and original idea. It opened in 2010, nearly 20 years after the Promenade Plantée was designed for Paris. To hear the two guys who proposed the High Line talk about their brainchild, you'd think they'd never heard of the PP, much less gained any inspiration from the concept in Paris.

So yes, I think the PP deserves our appreciation and the architects, Mathieux and Vergely who dreamed it up and proposed it in the mid-eighties deserve mention every time NYC blows it's own horn over the High Line project.

New York
Level Contributor
45 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why don't we have a Promenade Plantee appreciation thread?!

From http://www.thehighline.org/about/faq

Has a rail-trail atop an elevated structure been created before?

The city of Paris successfully converted a similar rail viaduct into an elevated park called the Promenade Plantée. Projects similar to the High Line are in early stages in St. Louis, Philadelphia, Jersey City, Chicago, and Rotterdam.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
215 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why don't we have a Promenade Plantee appreciation thread?!

I hope to run this route when I get there in two weeks. Is it true that it is closed early in the morning?

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why don't we have a Promenade Plantee appreciation thread?!

Yes, NOW it's mentioned on the High Line website but the NYT and all the major TV outlets that carried the story in 2010 failed to mention it at the time. I just saw a piece on British TV in Feb where the two New Yorkers associated with the HL project stood in front of a steel bridge structure and, again, accepted praise for their innovation and brilliance.

I think the High Line project is brilliant and I'm glad to see it take shape. I just prefer to give credit where credit is due.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,993 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why don't we have a Promenade Plantee appreciation thread?!

The highline is nice(r) because part of it brackets the West Village as opposed to SoHo or the East Village or Greenich Village or even Little Italy. You walk then exit and have your choice of eateries. See the Tavern on Jane.

Pjk

Edited: 02 April 2012, 00:18
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,628 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why don't we have a Promenade Plantee appreciation thread?!

The Promenade Plantee is definitely a Fall/Winter activity -- i have walked it in November, December and January. I walked it on Christmas Day a few months ago. It was full of families out for their pre- dinner stroll. I like it best this way -- mostly bare except for the occasional beautiful lone flower or rose. it's the best way to see all the architecture of the buildings butting up against it and getting great photographs. I should clarify that I love Fall and Winter and am not enamored of hot weather; I do most of my mountain hiking in Fall and Winter too -- the vistas are not obscured by the fully-bloomed trees.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,834 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why don't we have a Promenade Plantee appreciation thread?!

"The city of Paris successfully converted a similar rail viaduct into an elevated park called the Promenade Plantée."

Yes, but it does not say that in Paris it was done long before.

"The highline is nice(r)"

Pjk, you find it nicer than la Promenade Plantée? From the photos it seems simpler somehow. I'll be in NYC next week and if it's that great maybe I ought to have a look...

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why don't we have a Promenade Plantee appreciation thread?!

Most tourists don't know about the Promenade Plantée, and even many Parisians who don't live in the neighborhood don't know about it. Here's a 24-minute visit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0CQ73TmVeo

It's a very relaxing walk in nice weather. The west end is like a garden; the east end is a bit like a jungle. There's a big park in the middle and a fountain that dispenses free carbonated icewater (if it's still running).