We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transport from Paris to LeHavre Oceania cruise line

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
transport from Paris to LeHavre Oceania cruise line

I would appreciate recommendations for private drivers, shuttles or even train info for method of transportation from Paris to LeHavre.

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,388 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transport from Paris to LeHavre Oceania cruise line

A train will take you from Gare St Lazare in Paris to Le Havre in just over 2 hours, and you can take a taxi from the train station to your ship.

For the best prices, book direct with the train operator as far ahead as possible. Tickets go on sale 3 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets sell out quickly. Prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

You can get train times and costs, and make bookings, in English at www.tgv-europe.com/en but use Antarctic as the "Ticket collection country" on the first screen to avoid being transferred to RailEurope, which has higher prices and does not list all the trains. For notes on online booking, see www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

ireland
Level Contributor
354 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transport from Paris to LeHavre Oceania cruise line

Hi, and sorry for jumping in on this post.

sydneynick would you have an idea of how much a ticket to le havre would be if it was purchased the day of travel and would this be even possible ?

many thanks

catherine

Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transport from Paris to LeHavre Oceania cruise line

We have booked tickets from Paris to LeHavre but I have a question. We will have luggage for two for 14 days on a cruise. How big of a problem will it be to get our luggage on and off the train?

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,878 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: transport from Paris to LeHavre Oceania cruise line

Solely depends on yourselves and how much you can handle, as you will be responsible for your own luggage. Don't forget you have to step up onto the train. I haven't gone to LeHavre but have taken other TGV's and the Thalys and there were luggage racks at either end.

There is a current thread with tips on packing light, if you are worried about the amount of luggage you are bringing (and you didn't specify in your post how many bags you are taking) you may want to take a look at it for some advice.

Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transport from Paris to LeHavre Oceania cruise line

We'll have two large checked bags (~40# ea.) and two carry on bags. We will be taking a taxi to the Lasare station to board. My wife and I are both in our 70's but I believe I can handle the two big bags.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transport from Paris to LeHavre Oceania cruise line

In the days of ocean liners, there were special trains from Saint Lazare to both Le Havre and Cherbourg, and it was considered to be the ONLY civilized way to travel to the ships.

People will help you load (and unload) luggage if it's more than you can handle. Neither the other passengers nor the SNCF staff are savages.

Note: the trains out of St. Lazare are not TGVs.

Edited: 22 April 2012, 00:16
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transport from Paris to LeHavre Oceania cruise line

Thanks for the info. I don't think I'll have any problems.

8. Re: transport from Paris to LeHavre Oceania cruise line

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 03:17