We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traffic cameras result in fines for poor visitors?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
450 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
traffic cameras result in fines for poor visitors?

reading some horror stories about fines that show up on car rental bills after people have returned home and the rental company then adds handling fee on top... seems France has gone traffic camera crazy... have you found this to be true?.. and this does not seem to be confined to just the Paris area...also are there restricted zones with in cities that require passes or permits to drive in inner city areas,etc. thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,527 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traffic cameras result in fines for poor visitors?

this is true all over Europe -- it is particularly common to pick up speeding tickets on the major highways and in Italy if you try into any small town or city without residence permits

the rental company does not pay the fine, they simply bill you for providing thei nformation to police -- about 60E --- the fine which is usually 100 or more E arrives later

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,138 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traffic cameras result in fines for poor visitors?

There are speed cameras throughout France, and a new law does not allow their locations to be shown on maps or GPS devices. Do not exceed the speed limit. Be aware that a sign at the beginning of a settlement showing the settlement's name in black on white is the start of the 50 km/h limit.

Many places have areas in their centre that are reserved for residents. Do not drive past any sign looking like this: nickbooth.id.au/Europe11/images/Odds/321-Mos…

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,794 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traffic cameras result in fines for poor visitors?

Speed cameras are now very common in Italy, France and Spain (and perhaps other countries as well). There is no issue if one does not speed.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traffic cameras result in fines for poor visitors?

Speeding cameras only punish speeders and they do it quite efficiently. They are now installing a new generation of stop light cameras in the cities, and these have been sorely needed as well.

Queensland
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: traffic cameras result in fines for poor visitors?

Poor visitors? If they were going the speed limit they wouldn't be fined. Don't make them out to be angels who did nothing wrong!

I (well my husband did) drove in Loire Valley in 2009 and we took the back D roads in the hope of avoiding the traffic on the A roads (the highways) - this worked, and I don't think we saw one speed camera. Having said that, I wasn't actually looking for them.

Nick's advice is good (as always) - as you enter a village you will see the speed limit sign, and IIRC on the way out you will see that same speed limit with a black line through it, saying you can go back to the original speed limit.

Edited: 03 April 2012, 06:47
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: traffic cameras result in fines for poor visitors?

Am I missing something?

What is it today with these posts from "poor visitors" who think they are exempt from paying their traffic fines and another who questions the necessity to pay their hospital bill?!

I really don't understand this attitude?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,593 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: traffic cameras result in fines for poor visitors?

Harley I agree, whats with the "we can go on holiday and do what we want and there should be no consequences",, are we grown ups here or chirldren. ?

I was told the true measure of a persons character is what they do and how they behave,, when no ones looking!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,794 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: traffic cameras result in fines for poor visitors?

I don't think OP necessarily meant that visitors should be treated differently. It's just that many visitors might not be aware of the stiff fines associated with the stricter enforcement.

One has to keep in mind that US generally has no speed cameras and people do speed by default. On most US highways, you can usually go 5-10 MPH over the limit and you know the police won't pull you over. Visiting Europe requires a different mindset that American visitors should get used to.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
450 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: traffic cameras result in fines for poor visitors?

no intent to speed at any time or place most of the fines I saw reported by visitors were related to such things as driving in a lane reserved for bus or other issues related to not knowing the rules of the road like the local drivers ... my poor visitors was more related to the lack of knowledge and context of the visitor and not evil intent or sense of entitlement excuse me people

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,834 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: traffic cameras result in fines for poor visitors?

Knowing the rules of the road should be the first thing you do if planning to drive in a foreign country.

If you are a planning on renting a car in Paris I would advise against it, if driving elsewhere in France than I would suggest obeying the generous speed limit.