We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris Pass vs. Paris Museum Pass

Queensbury, New York
Level Contributor
554 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Paris Pass vs. Paris Museum Pass

I apologize if this is a dumb question...I have been reading the forum for months now and maybe I'm reading it TOO much because now I'm confused as to what the difference is between a Paris Pass and a Paris Museum Pass?

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris Pass vs. Paris Museum Pass

The Paris Museum Pass is one of many components (passes and vouchers) of the Paris Pass which can be purchased separately on your own. Same goes for all the other components of the Paris Pass.

Queensbury, New York
Level Contributor
554 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris Pass vs. Paris Museum Pass

I've read in other posts that the Paris Pass is not really worth it but the Museum Pass is a must...do you think so too?

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris Pass vs. Paris Museum Pass

The Paris Pass is not a good value. It's not even particularly convenient to purchase the components as a "package". It would be extremely difficult to outrun the cost versus what you do get around to paid for separately.

The "skip the lines" feature of the Paris Museum Pass is overstated. The only places it is truly useful for skipping the ticket lines would include Chateau Versailles and Musee d'Orsay and there are other ways of acquiring advance tickets for avoiding the ticket lines.

Whether the Paris Museum Pass is "worth it" depends on how many included places you want to rush around to during the consecutive days the pass is valid. The more included places you visit, the better the value.

Much depends on the number of days you will be in Paris, along with which places included, and not included, with the PMP you hope to get around to during your stay.

Queensbury, New York
Level Contributor
554 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris Pass vs. Paris Museum Pass

We will be there for two weeks in June of 2013!! Our first and probably only trip to Paris!! We plan to visit Musee d'Orsay, Musee deLouvre, Notre Dame, Tour Eiffel, Musee Marmottan, Musee de l'Armee, Chateau Versailles, Vaux-le-Vicomte to name a few!! We also want to take a boat tour of the Seine and possibly a day trip to Brussels, Belgium. We are still in the very early stages of planning but are not using a travel agent so I figured the more I can figure out early the better!! Any help or advice is GREATLY appreciated!!

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris Pass vs. Paris Museum Pass

You have lots and lots of time to research and plan.

You don't need a travel agent for any of that.

You can visit all those places on your own.

For a two week stay, again, unless you want to rush around to included places during consecutive days with the Paris Museum Pass, it may not be worth your while.

Queensbury, New York
Level Contributor
554 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris Pass vs. Paris Museum Pass

I know we can do this on our own! I'm a very good vacation planner but have never planned a trip to Europe!!! This trip has always been a dream of mine so I want to be sure to have "all my ducks in row" so we can thoroughly enjoy our time in Paris!

So needless to say...you'll be very sick of me by next June! :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,753 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris Pass vs. Paris Museum Pass

for two weeks I would not buy the museum pass

tricks for the d'Orsay -- one day on your way to the Louvre perhaps, stop by the office to the left of the line at the d'Orsay and buy a ticket -- it can be used any day EXCEPT the day you buy it -- then go when it rains, or you feel like it and use the reservation line which tends to be 15 minutes or less -- the main line is often an hour or more

get Versailles tickets ahead on line or at FNAC

the other museums you mention don't have significant lines

I loved Vaux le Vicomte -- if you want a preview check out my post 'our last chateau' on www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Queensbury, New York
Level Contributor
554 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris Pass vs. Paris Museum Pass

Janettravels4 - Thank you so much for inviting me to your post! I am sure I'll spend hours on it! I actually got the idea to visit Vaux le Vicomte from my High School French Teacher whom I contacted after I found out that I was actually going to Paris! I am 51 so you can imagine how long it has been since I was in touch with him! I searched for him and found him in PA and we have started a weekly correspondence so that he can share his memories of his trips to Paris with me and help me plan my trip! This is all just so exciting! Thanks again!

North Caroiina
Level Contributor
996 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris Pass vs. Paris Museum Pass

The PMP tends to be a better value for the 4-day and 6-day versions. One of those might make sense if you want to cluster covered museums in a four to six day period.

If you are interested, it would make sense to include Versailles in your 4- or 6-day segment since that is an expensive attraction. Also, you could make sure the pass covered Wednesday to Friday since these are the evenings the Louvre (W, F) and the d'Orsay (Th) are open late if you are inclined to max out your value.

It seems that many things in Paris cost between 8 and 12 euros so you can decide if the PMP makes sense. Generally, if you are inclined to visit 1.5-2 covered attractions per day, it is worth it. If you are inclined to see one big thing a day and then want to wander around and soak in Paris the rest of the day, maybe not.

While the PMP can be a great deal for some, getting your money's worth out of the Paris Passe is much less likely.

Queensbury, New York
Level Contributor
554 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris Pass vs. Paris Museum Pass

Where can I get a list of everything the PMP covers?