We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Navigo Découverte Questions

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
522 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Navigo Découverte Questions

1. I know that the Navigo Découverte lasts for 10 years, but what if there is an extended period of inactivity on it (4 or 5 years)? Does it have to be reactivated? Or does it just work automatically the next time the Navigo semaine is loaded on it?

2. When we arrive at CDG, it will be too soon to buy the next week's Navigo semaine (we arrive on Thurs.), but since we will have a lot of time until our TGV train leaves, I thought I would purchase the Navigo Découverte for my son so that it will be ready to load with the Navigo semaine a couple of days later. He has an old one, but he looked a lot younger when I first bought it for him, and I know he'll want a new one (avec beard). Should I ask:

'Je voudrais acheter seulement un Navigo Découverte svp, pas un Navigo semaine."

My concern is that when I ask for a Navigo Découverte, they will think that I'm also trying to buy the weekly pass (which is not available for sale yet), and they will tell me that I can't buy it.

Mentioned in this post
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Roissy-en-France, France
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
522 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Navigo Découverte Questions

Forgot to add - thanks in advance for your help.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Navigo Découverte Questions

Why not just change the photo if the pass is still valid?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
522 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Navigo Découverte Questions

djk-now I feel dumb. I hadn't looked at the card and was "mis" remembering that the photo was sealed permanently in the card. After reading your post, I looked at it and realized that I could remove it and replace it with a new photo. Thanks for the suggestion.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,291 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Navigo Découverte Questions

I don't see any need to change the photo for a kid -- my grandchild will not be recognizable at 6 from her passport acquired at 2 but it will still be valid

The ND can be charged any time in the 10 years

I believe you can charge your Navigo on Thursday for the coming week -- but if you buy it from a vente window then the clerk will be able to either charge it for the coming week or tell you to wait

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Navigo Découverte Questions

You won't be able to add the following week until Friday.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
820 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Navigo Découverte Questions

I arrive on a Sunday. If I load it when I arrive, can I use it right away or do I have to wait until Mon? Also, if I am just arriving and load it Sunday, will it be void at midnight? In other words, should I wait until Mon? Thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,291 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Navigo Découverte Questions

they won't load it for the week on Sunday but for the next Monday and you can't use it till then -- you will have to buy a separate RER ticket into town -- the ND will be valid starting Monday. you probably wouldn't want to load it for zone 5 just to get in from the airport anyway -- unless you are making several trips out of Paris during your week.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
522 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Navigo Découverte Questions

Janetravels - A 6-year old might not care if a picture from age 2 is on the card. However, I think my 18-year old son will be unhappy with a picture on the card from age 13 or 14. Now, he looks like a man, and then he looked like a little kid. Unless anyone sees a problem with DJKbooks' suggestion, I will just attempt to peel off the old picture and attach a new one. Thanks for your help.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
820 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Navigo Découverte Questions

Thank you, Janet!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,291 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Navigo Découverte Questions

ahh -- yeah -- my card has a seal over the picture -- but I suppose you might be able to pry it open somehow and put a different picture in -- worst case scenerio you have to buy a new card and that is only 5 Euro