We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying to Rome and out of Paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chattanooga...
10 posts
Save Topic
Flying to Rome and out of Paris

I'm traveling out of Chicago to Rome with Swiss International in July and have a 1 hour and 40 minute layover in Zurich. On the way back we're flying out of Paris to Chicago with a 1 hour and 35 minute layover in Zurich. I'm wondering if the layover time in Zurich is going to be enough? I'm really worried we aren't going to be able to make our flight to Rome and back to Chicago! Thanks for any help!

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying to Rome and out of Paris

Sorry that you didn't ask this question prior to purchasing your tickets.

Personally, I do not find the intervals between your flights to be comfortable / acceptable. I ALWAYS build in a minimum of 2.5 - 3.0 hours between connecting flights from Europe and the USA, even if I know the airport. If it's a new / unfamiliar airport to me, or if I know that I will have to change terminals, I will only look at flights with layovers of 3 - 4 hours. I just figure that chilling out in the airport is alot better than missing my flight and having to deal with all that anxiety etc ...After all, I can always enjoy another galss of wine at the airport, not to mention a bit more duty-free shopping, and, if there is some problem with the flight, it's not my problem, 'cause I was there on time - and they, (ie. the airline) have to do the right thing ...

AG

Also, keep in mind that if you are changing airlines, you may want to build in an even longer interval between flights, since the regulations regarding the second carrier's responsability vis-a-vis getting you to your next destination, is, to my understanding, somewhat different than the responsability for a single carrier.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,586 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying to Rome and out of Paris

are they the same carrier? If so, they will handle your bags so all you have to do is get to the right gate which shouldn't be hard.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
371 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying to Rome and out of Paris

It may be best to ask this question on the 'Air Travel' forum.

I had a similar question recently & everyone was really helpful.

Chattanooga...
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying to Rome and out of Paris

Thanks for the feedback everyone! We're thankfully flying with the same carrier so hopefully if we aren't able to make the connection they will take care of us. I think we could probably make it to the next gate, but I'm more worried about our luggage making it there!

AG-I couldn't agree with you more! I wish I had asked before we got the tickets. I would prefer a longer layover just so we wouldn't have to deal with the anxiety of making it or not too!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,649 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying to Rome and out of Paris

Rather than relying on the air carrier to take care of you if you miss the connection. I would do some research ahead of time to see what other options are available.

That way if there is a delay you can specifically ask to be put on the flight at xx:xx time, instead just accepting what they offer.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,696 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying to Rome and out of Paris

"That way if there is a delay you can specifically ask to be put on the flight at xx:xx time, instead just accepting what they offer."

Great idea if it was feasible. The carriers liability is to get you on the next flight with seating availability in your class of service. Anything above and beyond that is at their discretion, not your preferences.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,649 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying to Rome and out of Paris

Yes. The airline has no obligation to put you on a certain flight. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
979 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying to Rome and out of Paris

Where did you purchase your tickets? If you booked through a Travel Agent, I am sure they would have alerted you to the connection time. If you booked online through an online site such as Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, etc., I am sure they have a phone number to call. Same for booking directly through the airline.

When an airline sets up their flight schedule, they adhere to "minimum connecting times" for domestic-to-domestic flights, international-to-international flights, domestic-to-international flights, and so on. These minimum connecting times are what the airport and airlines deem to be appropriate times for passengers to reasonably catch their onward flight. If you booked your flights online as a single journey, then you should have what is considered to be a "legal" connection. Simply put, if you have a "legal" connection, then the airline and airport figures you have enough time to make your connection ... barring (of course) any unforseen delays.

While many people book the shortest connection so that they can arrive at their destination quickly, I always prefer having a more comfortable "buffer" for international connections ... just in case.

If you are not comfortable with your connection times, make sure you are familiar with flight alternatives just incase of delays. Also keep tabs on your flight prior to departure - if there are any schedule changes, your connecting time may become more narrow. If it gets too tight, then you may be elegible for reaccommodation with out paying any penalty.

Chattanooga...
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying to Rome and out of Paris

Thanks for the info! I like having a buffer between connecting flights too rather it's international or domestic, but we'll definetly have to keep tabs on everything. From my research here it seems like we should be ok. Fingers crossed!!

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,966 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying to Rome and out of Paris

If you booked a flight on Swiss International from Chicago to Rome, and on the website (or the travel agent's website) you were presented with the one-stop fight you chose (Chi to Zur and Zur to Rome at the times you indicate), then Swiss International considers that a legit itinerary. You might call them to confirm that.

It doesn't mean there is not a risk--you could depart late from Chicago, etc--but in the case outlined above, the airline has created the itinerary.

If you booked two separate flights, even with the same carrier (from Chi to Zurich, and then a separate flight from Zurich to Rome), you are not in good shape and should call Swiss International to see what you can do about that.

Live and learn though--I know that I have created a couple of botched itineraries in my time! (And, overall, I still had great trips!)