We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another what to wear question

Miami FL
Level Contributor
446 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Another what to wear question

Hi again

We r a young couple 30's - early 40's & another couple young at heart 60's. I am not much of a shorts wearing gal although the hubs is. Is it too hot for jeans or leggings @ the end of May?

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
548 Reviews
from US$72.50*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
658 Reviews
from US$73.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,213 Reviews
from US$121.30*
Eiffel Tower and Louvre Museum...
821 Reviews
from US$123.80*
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,273 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another what to wear question

Maybe.

You might be just as likely to have the jeans and socks and be looking for a place to buy a sweatshirt, particularly is your blood is as thin as most of us Florida folk.

The shorts will be longer, though -- Capris even better, for both guys and girls.

Check the weather closer to the time -- right now, it's in the 50s, grey, windy, and rainy, although it's **supposed** to inch closer to 60 by the end of the week. (crossing fingers) Today you might have seriously considered wearing the leggings *under* the jeans.

Miami FL
Level Contributor
446 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another what to wear question

Hoping for nice sightseeing weather!

Men short I mean this

express.com/classic-fit-belted-plaid-flat-fr…

Woman jeans

express.com/stella-skinny-leg-regular-fit-je…

With comfy flats

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another what to wear question

Agree with checking long range forecast just ahead of leaving to finalize your packing. Pay attention to predicted low temps as well as high, since predicted high, if reached, may be for only a short while in the afternoon. Mornings and evenings will likely be quite chilly to you.

Considering that average high temps at the end of May in Paris are about 10 degrees lower than average low temps at the end of May in Miami, think the uniquitous layers.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,921 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another what to wear question

Skip the forecasts, but keep the layers. Weather forecasts are typically very unreliable even for periods as short as 24 hours. Spring and fall in Paris have particularly unpredictable weather, which can range from chilly to sizzling. The only safe course of action is to pack clothing that can be added or removed in layers as the weather of the day dictates. Weather forecasts can simply be tossed into the wastebasket.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,594 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another what to wear question

If it is warm enough the shorts are fine. Last summer it was actually à la mode for men to wear shorts in town.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,138 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another what to wear question

for hot weather you can't beat a skirt -- or linen pants rather than jeans

my experience of May in Paris is that it is rarely too hot for jeans and is more likely to be chilly and rainy than steamy -- but changeable sums it up -- layers and the option to put on a rain jacket and sweater or something light weight should always be there

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another what to wear question

Speaking of skirts, would I be foolish to wear a white skirt in June? At home here I wear it all summer with no problems but have read in different threads that white clothing gets grubby too quickly and the last thing I want to do is washing every couple of days while on holiday. I do have a black skirt that I could wear instead but I don't wear that during summer here as I feel it is a "winter" skirt.

What to do?

Edited: 23 April 2012, 10:43
Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another what to wear question

I don't wear white pants or skirts in a city. Ever. They just get too dirty.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,709 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another what to wear question

A black skirt ( or bottoms of any type) is not considered wintery in Paris any time of year. Its just practical( and no, it doesn't have to be "black", any darker neutral will do ) it just makes sense to wear a bottom that lasts more then one wearing without looking grubby. If you want to wear your white skirt then do, just keep in mind that if packing light that you are choosing to pack an item you won't get much wear out of.

I wear white at home and find its good for one wearing, and I drive most places so when using public transport, sitting on park benches etc,, you can hardly expect alot more wear on vacation( where you don't have a washing machine handy unless in an apartment that supplies one)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,138 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another what to wear question

I always wear black or dark brown jean weight or linen slacks summer or winter -- light colors are just not practical for travel. Mixed with lighter colors in tops, they can look summary e.g. a brown/white striped tank with the brown linen. I have two longish skirts I use for travel -- a mix of white/black or white/brown/black -- one is a cotton wrap in a black and white pattern which I rarely need to wash during a trip -- the pattern hides about anything I can do to it -- the other which is my winter skirt is a poly print that dresses up nicely.

for short skirts -- a black or denin blue would work and be more practical than white