We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! How to cancel an apartment rental contract in Paris.

Birmingham, Michigan
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
HELP! How to cancel an apartment rental contract in Paris.

Need to cancel an apartment rental contract. Was not happy with the area, or the unit and found something better. The contract indicated I had to cancel before 30 days. I am cancelling with 3 weeks. How can I do this. I guess I was resigned to giving up the deposit, but the contract says they require full payment if I cancel with less than 30 days. In writing by registered letter. Help!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
548 Reviews
from US$72.50*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
658 Reviews
from US$73.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,213 Reviews
from US$121.30*
Eiffel Tower and Louvre Museum...
821 Reviews
from US$123.80*
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP! How to cancel an apartment rental contract in Paris.

The only way out would be if you had additionally purchased cancellation insurance and had a valid reason for cancelling, which does not appear to be the case.

However, if the owner can find someone else to rent the place for at least the same rate at the same dates, he might let you off the hook if he is in a good mood.

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP! How to cancel an apartment rental contract in Paris.

Can you tell us from which agency you rented the apartment?

Yes, you'll likely lose your deposit.

If you are not happy with the area or the unit, I have to wonder what made you book it in the first place. Perhaps it isn't so bad.

Would you post a link to the apartment/agency? At least then we can read the Terms & Conditions noted on the website.

Birmingham, Michigan
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP! How to cancel an apartment rental contract in Paris.

I'm not sure about the cancellation insurance. The transaction was handled by a family member. : ( I don't think there is any tho.

The leasor indicated there was now contruction work going on and scaffolding which would affect someone with health problems.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,388 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP! How to cancel an apartment rental contract in Paris.

So which is it? You have a problem with the construction and scaffolding or you have a problem with the area and or the unit? I'm confused.

Without more details it's difficult to help.

"You" signed a contract and are bound by it.But due to the construction issues, it may be best to just to ask the owner if you can cancel. I would read the terms and conditions of the contract before doing this though.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,691 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP! How to cancel an apartment rental contract in Paris.

Well at first I was going to say too bad,, you will lose your deposit,, but then you mention a change in circumstance , the construction. Are you certain that was never mentioned till after your cancellation period expired? If not then it may be aloop hole, but frankly I think you will just have to go and make the best of it.

As for the construction, it only goes on during the day( with an early start true) but not sure how "scaffolding" affects health, noise is annoying, but you will be out for the day anyways right?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,691 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP! How to cancel an apartment rental contract in Paris.

ps have you paid all up front, cash, check, credit card?

Birmingham, Michigan
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP! How to cancel an apartment rental contract in Paris.

We went to the homeaway website. Once we identified the apartment, they linked us directly to the Leasor and had no further involvement. The website for the property offers no information about policies . They contact you thru e-mail and send you a contract. I have reviewed their calendar and they seem well-booked for later in the summer, and I know May is a very busy month.

but their calendar is not full for May. I do hope they can find someone else,

I don't think they are bad people, I just don't want to "settle" on my first trip. Put it another way: If we are coming home in the evening, I would not feel safe in this area. Also there are no convenient shops and places to eat. I didn't know this until I finally received the address. Prior to that, I was given the "general area."

I just didn't like the area, especially when we realized the apartment we really wanted had suddenly become avaialable in the area we preferred. This one is also in a building not fully "rehabbed."

It's on the Rue d Rivoli, but not close to the Louvre. There are a lot of things we should have done, but I hope the lesson we learn isn't an expensive one.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Paris Rivoli
Hotel Paris Rivoli
473 Reviews
Paris, France
France Louvre
France Louvre
293 Reviews
Paris, France
Birmingham, Michigan
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP! How to cancel an apartment rental contract in Paris.

For people with breathing issues scaffolding and dust are issues. Paint fumes are issues. The scaffolding is a new wrinkle. And yes, I believe it was mentioned less than 30 days out.

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP! How to cancel an apartment rental contract in Paris.

If you can't post the Terms & Conditions here, we can't really advise you, except to say that whatever you have paid you can likely kiss good-bye if you cancel.

You would likely know if you have Travel/trip insurance it is not included in a rental contract (not normally). It is purchased separately by the renter.

If you feel the scaffolding will somehow affect your health, perhaps if you explain the exact reasons to the agency/owner, they will treat your cancellation more favorably. Do they perhaps have another apartment that does not have construction going on that they can transfer your reservation to?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,100 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP! How to cancel an apartment rental contract in Paris.

there is no reason that the landlord should return your money because you changed your mind at the last minute. none at all. it will probably be an expensive lesson.

you can throw yourself on his mercy and hope he can re-rent the place. May is high season and perhaps he can but he is still under no obligation to return the deposit.

I would probably write and tell him your travel plans had changed and you won't be able to use the apartment in Paris and hope that he can re-rent and return your deposit. be sorry for the inconvenience. don't criticize the neighborhood.

low odds.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France