We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our 4 day Itinerary- Please review

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Our 4 day Itinerary- Please review

We would be so appreciative if you could take a moment to critique our itinerary. We have spent many hours trying to put it together and would hate to make a glaring mistake.

My wife and I will be arriving at CDG Friday June 29th at 08:00. We will head straight to the hotel to drop off out things and hope to quickly head out to explore. We are staying in the Latin Quarter. If we are able to be out of the hotel by noon, we plan to start out trip with the following:

FRIDAY:

AFTERNOON-

- Walk around our hotel area to see what type of shops and cafes are near by.

-Walk over to the Pantheon

-Rue Mouffetard Market (grab a snack)

-Luxembourg Gardens

-Saint Sulpice

-Make our way to Tour Montparnasse before sunset to see the city views.

EVENING- Seine River Cruise

SATURDAY:

MORNING-

-Notre Dame (also climb tower)

-La Conciergerie

-Sainte-Chapelle

AFTERNOON-

-Musee D'Orsay

EVENING-

-Trocadero

-Eiffel Tower (Not going up)

SUNDAY:

MORNING-

-Versailles

LATE AFTERNOON-

-Le Marais

EVENING-

-Dinner and stroll on Ile St. Louis

MONDAY-

MORNING-

-Louve

AFTERNOON-

-Arc de Triomph

-Champs-Elysees

LATE AFTERNOON/EARLY EVENING-

-Montmartre

-Sacre-Coeur

***I understand it's possible we may be over doing it slightly. If not, a few other sites we have considered seeing are: Place de la Concorde, Musee de L'Orangerie, Army Museum/ Napoleon's Tomb. Is it possible to fit any of these in? If so, where might we add them?

Please feel free to offer up any additions or subtractions you may have.

We are very thankful for your time!

Thanks,

-Brett and Emily

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,029 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our 4 day Itinerary- Please review

I think it looks pretty good, if you aren't on musuem overload you might want to squeeze Napoleons Tomb and Invalids Army Museum in on your Orsay afternoon as they are close to there. Or ,, better yet, skip Champs,, its boring, see the Arc then go to Invalids and Tomb.

On the morning you go to Louvre you may decide to then walk through Tuilleries Gardens and see Place Du Concorde,, its only a 10 minute walk .

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our 4 day Itinerary- Please review

Day of arrival looks extremely ambitious. Sunset will be about 9:58...you may or may not have the energy and enthusiasm for all that.

The rest looks just fine. You'll find that some days you'll get around to more than you would presume, other days less, but I'm sure you'll be able to fit the rest in as well. You don't have to schedule everything ahead of time.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our 4 day Itinerary- Please review

It looks good - things are grouped together well geographically. It's a full schedule, but I'm also the type to plan a lot of things to see when travelling.

Personally, I would skip the Conciergerie - by most accounts it's pretty dull and not worth it. That will free up a little more time that day, and perhaps you could fit in the Musee d'Armee/Tomb of Napoleon that afternoon, as Joan suggested.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,080 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our 4 day Itinerary- Please review

Since you are going to climb the Notre Dame Tower and see the Arc de Triomphe (are you going to ascend?) and go to Montmartre, that will give you 3 opportunities for a bird's eye view of Paris--so you really won't need to try to fit the Tour Montparnasse in on Day 1. You'll have plenty to see in the Latin Qtr, and if you want to do the Seine cruise, you'll need to get to it before you fall asleep!

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Our 4 day Itinerary- Please review

Wow. Such great responses already! I love this site :)

Joan- I love the Tuilleries suggestion. I forgot I had read that idea somewhere else and it sounded like a great way to fit more in geographically.

djk- Thanks for the perspective on the first day. I guess it is tough to know at which point we will start to run out gas.

pmmc- I will certainly consider this change. Thanks for the suggestion.

mcal- What a great perspective. I never thought about it that way. I do suppose 3 different assents around the city could be enough. Especially since Montparnasse is so out of the way. I may also consider shifting the cruise to another night. I never considered the tired factor late at night the first evening.

Thanks everyone!

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our 4 day Itinerary- Please review

I would guess a Seine cruise late day of arrival will lull you to sleep.

I really enjoyed Conciergerie...especially seeing Marie Antoinette's "boudoir and garden" there after a visit to her rooms, gardens, farm, at Chateau Versailles. If you'll have a museum pass, you may as well drop in.

And, if you'll have a museum pass, you could pop into Eglise du Dome for Napoleon's Tomb on your way back from Versailles.

You could visit Musee de l'Orangerie later in the day you're at the Louvre. (I'm another who wouldn't spend any time on the Champs Elysees.)

But, play it as you go. It's more important to really enjoy what you do get around to than run yourselves ragged.

Regardless, you'll likely be planning a return trip on the plane ride home.

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Our 4 day Itinerary- Please review

For those who have traveled to Versailles....

If we were to go early in the morning and make it back around mid afternoon, are we allowing enough time to see Le Marais? I thought it would make sense to head here because I've read several places are closed on Sundays outside of Le Marais.

Also, is it an area you would recommend that we spend time in during out 4 day stay?

Thanks again!

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our 4 day Itinerary- Please review

You could swap Marais and Montmartre.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Our 4 day Itinerary- Please review

Depending on how much time you plan to spend at the Louvre, the Orangerie is another option for that day. Once you leave the Louvre, walk through the Tuileries to the other end of the garden, visit the Orangerie, then continue to the place de la Concorde. The Orangerie is a much smaller museum, and a nice respite after the overwhelming size of the Louvre

Last time I was there was in late Nov/ early December, there was a Christmas market along the Champs Elysee, and we wandered along until we reached the Arc de Triomphe. It would be a less interesting walk without the market there.

As someone above mentioned, you could fit in Napoleon's tomb on the Orsay day, as well as a visit to the Rodin Museum (or at least the garden). It's one of my favorite places to go in Paris and is very close to les Invalides.

The Marais and Montmartre are both areas that are nice for wandering in the evening, with plenty of cafes and shops.

Calgary
Level Contributor
793 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our 4 day Itinerary- Please review

The Louvre is open late on Friday and Wednesday and it is much less crowded then. I would do that on Friday evening for a couple of hours instead of Tour Montparnasse. Then you can come back on another day for another few hours so you don't get museum overkill. We did a Louvre Paris Muse tour on our first night which was also a Friday. It was a nice way to get acquainted with the museum.

However, if you're arriving directly from the US you will be rather tired... We'd already been in Europe for three weeks when we arrived.

The seine Cruise was not worth it in my opinion... Perhaps because we did it on one of our last days and we'd already seen most of the sights.

Your Saturday morning will only work if you're in line at Notre Dame quite early (say 8AM or earlier...) That line moves very slowly. If you don't get in line until 9-10 you won't be down until noon at least.

Musee de l'Orangerie can be done quite quickly if you only want to see the huge Monet Water Lilies murals.