We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renaissance Vendome - having second thoughts..

East Islip, New York
Level Contributor
439 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Renaissance Vendome - having second thoughts..

We are booked to stay here in July on points and I am starting to have doubts about the area. I have been researching outdoor cafes for breakfast and local restaurants and the area seem to be lacking. Other threads are saying it isn't much of a neighborhood. Is this the case or am I just running into some weak information? I would like to have some local charm and conveniences near the hotel we are staying at..thoughts anyone?

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
490 reviews
from US$73.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from US$109.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
585 reviews
from US$51.80*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$301.60*
US$335.10
los angeles
Level Contributor
9,309 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renaissance Vendome - having second thoughts..

Are you staying there free on points? Because, for me, that would make a lot of difference. I wouldn't second-guess free, unless there was a big reason, and I don't think there is in this case.

The hotel is centrally located. Good for walking to other places and good for metro transportation. Near the Louvre and Tuileries, near the Seine. There's a lot of good things you could say about it.

Because the Louvre and Tuileries basically comprise one side of rue Rivoli at that point, yes, there isn't a long row of quaint shops and cafes. The other side of rue Rivoli has some souvenir type shops, so perhaps it lacks a bit of the charm you want. And rue Rivoli is trafficky.

But you are near Place Vendome and some gorgeous hotels--the Ritz, for example. it's an upscale area.

So I see what you mean about outdoor cafes, etc. It's not that kind of vibe.

Where do you want to stay? And is the price "right," or are you paying plus using points? Would you rather be in a different type of area, but in a more "budget" hotel? You have to weigh the pros and cons.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,385 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renaissance Vendome - having second thoughts..

Well I find the area a bit dry, nice etc,, but yes, a bit lacking . But, if hotel is free i would stay there and resign myself to walking a bit more to find cute cafes etc.

If hotel is not free i would look a bit more,, what is budget requirements , how many people and when is visit?

Davidson, North...
Level Contributor
217 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renaissance Vendome - having second thoughts..

We will be staying there on points in Nov. our decision was based on good reviews, free breakfast since we are Elite Rewards members and easy access to many of the sights we wish to walk to see. We plan to use the $$ we are saving to be able to really enjoy the food, entrance fees, and splurges on wine and shopping. For us it was a simple decision since we love to walk so a 10 or 15 minute walk to find cafes or bistros is not an issue. Hope you make the best decision for you - perhaps at a different Marriott affiliated hotel in an arrondissement that you prefer.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,093 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renaissance Vendome - having second thoughts..

We've stayed there and loved it. As noted by others it is very near the Louvre and Tuileries, As it is near those areas and not far from the Champs, the small French neighborhood feel is not there. However, it is near a number of the major sites as well as some excellent shopping. It all depends on your priorities and preferences.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renaissance Vendome - having second thoughts..

Place Vendome is a beautiful square occupied by upscale hotels and boutiques, so, no, not really a "neighborhood" of sorts.

Yes, cafes and dining spots are a bit farther than from a hotel located on a major boulevard or street, but you'd have several of those a few blocks away.

There are plenty of cafes/bistros within .1, .2 km

Le Cosy

L'Absinthe

Flottes (good to know because it's open every day, early to late, with continuous service)

Two of our favorites in all of Paris: La Cordonnerie and L'Ardoise

Breakfast is not easy to find anywhere. Many cafes do not open until 11, and those open earlier serve "Continental breakfast" (croissant, beverage). If you want eggs, breakfast meat, toast, or other American style breakfast items, you usually have to look a bit farther anyway. Since we're not early risers, we tend to start the day with brunch: quiche, tartine, crepes, omelet.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,861 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renaissance Vendome - having second thoughts..

The place Vendôme itself is a rather cold but attractive plaza surrounded by extremely expensive shops catering mostly to cold, expensive people, but there are many nice areas around it, so you need not avoid the area on that basis. A short walk up to the Opéra will take you into an area that has tons of restaurants of all kinds, and many of the surrounding streets have both nice places to eat and great charm.

If you are paying full price, you're paying too much, but if you have a discount, it's a fine area in which to stay.

East Islip, New York
Level Contributor
439 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renaissance Vendome - having second thoughts..

Thank you all for the great information and reccommendations- we are staying for points so it is probably worth giving up the charm - we could stay on points also at MArriott Champs or Renaissance Trocadero - but we stayed at Champs last time and wanted a little change.

We are going to stay at Vendome and walk a bit more - now that we know where to go thanks to all of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Merci

Teresa

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,861 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renaissance Vendome - having second thoughts..

I think you'll enjoy the Vendome location as opposed to the Champs or Trocadéro. There's more to do and see in a smaller radius from the hotel in the Vendome area, plus a vastly greater selection of places to eat, plus some excellent shopping (grands magasins and endless shops).

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
118 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renaissance Vendome - having second thoughts..

We stayed there a few years ago using points and found it very worthwhile as it was so close to many attractions. The hotel is nice. We paid extra for an upgraded room. We ate at L'Absinthe which is a short walk and had an excellent meal. We had good and bad meals at Flottes.

10. Re: Renaissance Vendome - having second thoughts..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 04:42